Kolsch Style Ale Fermentation Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eanzelc

Reaction score
Good morning, and thanks in advance for any help!

A week ago i brewed an extract Kolsch style ale and pitched white labs German Kolsch yeast. The batch has been kept around 65 degrees. The problem is that it is not fermenting as it should, I have seen a little fermentation activity, but nothing like usual. My question is, is can i pick up some more yeast and try pitching some more yeast, or is the batch ruined?

:confused:

I brewed two different beers in two days, using the same kind of yeast. One went bonkers and the other was a lot less active. I check the gravity after a week and it was moving along just fine. So I wouldn't worry about activity necessarily. A gravity reading should give you an answer.

Relax my friend.

Just give it some time. at cooler temps it will take a bit longer. A good Kolsch is one of my favorite beers to make and at 65 you are getting to the low end of the kolsch yeast. You will be fine it just may take a bit longer.

You must also consider that, while perfect for the Kolsch style, you are fermenting at the bottom end of optimum.

This is not wrong at all and is exactly what you should be doing. Just realize that this strain like it warmer and, like anything else, gets a little sluggish when it's cool/cold.

Wait til fermentation should be complete and check the gravity.

Edit: Rev JC beat me off the line.

Did you make a starter? My first Kolsch, I pitched the tube like the directions said. It took 36 hours before I had any sign of fermentation. Patience is needed here and at 65 degrees, you'll do just fine (I ferment mine at 60).

I've used this yeast four times now experimenting with various styles - an American Wheat, an Amber, a mock-Octoberfest and now a Porter. All have been between 65 and 68 and each fermentation different. All took about 36 hours to get going - the Wheat went fast, the Amber went bonkers, the Octoberfest was slow and steady and the Porter is now just rolling along. I guess my point is that each fermentation varies and I think the style and gravity has something to do with that.

Thanks for all the replys!!! I let it go a bit longer then tested the gravity, and all is well. Thanks again!!

CHEERS!

Back