Scorched Mashtun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brickhouse

Reaction score
I direct fire my mash tun, which has a false bottom. Usually I don't have a problem with scortching, but yesterday when I was mashing 18 lbs of Pilsner malt for a Golden Strong in a multi-step mash I got a huge amount of scortching. I stirred constantly and pumped out full bore as usual.

I'm thinking it may have been because of the steps. My first step was at 95F. It was during the ramps up from 95 to 130F and to 140F that I smelled the scortching. Do you think the unconverted starches contributed to the more than usual scortching?

The wert didn't taste smoky or scorched. What do you think will be the results of my scortched mash?

what was the time frame that you went from 95 to 130 in and what size was the batch? Most likely you just had your burner turned up a little to high this time and the fluid movement wasn't enough to counter the surface temp of the bottom.

Linc

If you have a pump, why not recirculate during your steps? This creates constant wort flow over a very low flame.

I use a direct fired keg as a mash tun. I stir to get a good mixture at dough in, then direct the mash tun output to pump and reintroduce the wort to mash through my sparge ring. Stepping temperature around 1 or 2 degrees per minute over very low flame produces no scorching with no stirring.

I think if you have false bottom and only stir...smaller grain particles could get trapped under the false bottom (sitting directly on the kettle bottom and prone to scorch. By pumping you suck all those grain particles out and with the constant recirculation you really utilize the mash bed as filter.

At least that's my experience. YMMV.

What do you think will be the results of my scortched mash?

I think the results will be a difficult time in cleaning the tun which will prolly' prompt you to take the suggestion made earlier and put that pump to better use during the brewday.

I too direct fire but, I also recirculate. I have had my 160k btu burner going at full blast to mash out with the pump throttled full open and have yet to see any scorching on the bottom of my tun.

I didn't mean to be unclear. I pump out from under my false bottom at with valves open to their max and reintroduce the wert at the the top of the mash.

What would happen if I were to stick a 1/2" pipe down to the false bottom and feed the wert into the pipe? Would that help the stiring below the false bottom?

Generally, I don't see any scortching either. Just this time and it was a major pain in the ... to clean.

It took me about 15 mins to get from 95 to 130. I bet that was too fast.

Ah sorry....must have misinterpreted your first post. If you recirc and normally you don't get scorching, then I'd say you're just stepping too fast. I think 35 degrees over 15 minutes is probably a bit much. Try throttling back to 35 degrees over 25 minutes or so and bet you'll be back to normal.

Back