Short bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Long

Reaction score
Can I use the short Jamaican Red Stripe bottles to condition my homebrew?

I bottled last Sunday and I noticed today, Wednesday, my four short bottles had a slight bulge on the cap.

image01-rs-bottle.jpg

Thanks!

Yeah there fine. I use some Franzikaner bottles and they are shorter also. They worked fine.

I've used a few Red Stripe bottles myself with no issues. You do have to be a little careful though because the shorter bottle means less volume is taken up by the bottling wand in the bottle, so if you fill to the brim as with other "longnecks", once you pull the wand out, you'll be left with less headspace, which may or may not be a problem.

I've had a few caps "bulge" out on me on regular bottles. I thought they were going to be overcarbed or gushers, but they ended up being fine just like all the other beers of that batch.

I love the Red Stripe bottles for beer. Just a great shape and they are heavier than most 12 oz bottles. They should work with no problem. I have several of them on a couple batches so far. I'm trying to convince my brother to drink more of these so I can have the bottles. Myself I can't stand the beer.

Craig

Reminds me of the beer that my grandpa used to drink. PBR?? They were short and squat too. I've got some Red Stripe bottles that I plan on using soon.

I love the Red Stripe bottles for beer. Just a great shape and they are heavier than most 12 oz bottles.

I do like the shape. Very efficient size to stash in places where tapered/tall bottles can't fit.

Can I use the short Jamaican Red Stripe bottles to condition my homebrew?

I bottled last Sunday and I noticed today, Wednesday, my four short bottles had a slight bulge on the cap.

image01-rs-bottle.jpg

Thanks!

The Red Stripe bottles are a lot like the Stubbies that all beer in Canada use to come in. I guess there were a lot of bar fights in Canada in the late 40's so the changed from long necks to Stubbies so that you couldn't hold on to the neck and break off the bottom to make a weapon. I guess cooler heads prevailed in the 80's and the Stubblies disappeared. Stubbies are now a collectors item. I have a few that I bottle in. Holding one brings back a lot of memories.

Paul

Back