Found some apple juice on sale...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devo9

Reaction score
I found some apple juice (No additives, on preservative) on sale, 12 L (3.17 gal) for $11.49 at The Real Canadian Super Store. So now I have 6.34 gal of apple juice ready for brewing and I was thinking about adding some juice concentrate to up the OG (everyone uses sugar and honey is out of season plus I have done it already).

My first thought was adding some apple juice concentrate, but that seems a little unadveturous... So I am here looking for some more exciting ideas!

Wish that sale was on in BC too, I'm looking to get another cider batch going :)

I'd say you can't go wrong adding a can or even two of pure apple juice frozen concentrate, the only risk would be going too far over your carboy's size limits, but then cider is not a crazy fermenter like beer is.

The best cider I've made has been one near 8% and that had concentrate in it.

Wish that sale was on in BC too, I'm looking to get another cider batch going :)

I'd say you can't go wrong adding a can or even two of pure apple juice frozen concentrate, the only risk would be going too far over your carboy's size limits, but then cider is not a crazy fermenter like beer is.

The best cider I've made has been one near 8% and that had concentrate in it.

They might! There is a Real Canadian Superstore in Kelowna, just check the juice isle, it is the No Name Brand Apple Juice not from concentrate sold in 12 x 1 liter cases. They was a limit of 1 and it was $16.99 after the limit. So I just bought them 1 at a time, when I came back I just used another regester.

What about caramalized sugar? Is there anything wrong with using it? I know it might have trouble disolving, but I'm sure I can work around that.

It just occured to me that a caramel apple cider sounds pretty interesting.

Would caramelizing the sugar make any difference? Or would it taste the same as adding regular sugar?

What about caramalized sugar? Is there anything wrong with using it? I know it might have trouble disolving, but I'm sure I can work around that.

It just occured to me that a caramel apple cider sounds pretty interesting.

Would caramelizing the sugar make any difference? Or would it taste the same as adding regular sugar?

I have made what I once called a caramel apple cider and it was really good. I started with fresh apple juice I got from juicing fresh apple from a Mac tree and then fermented it out dry. I then brought it up to about 160º to kill the yeast, and dissolve in some brown sugar. I then bottled it hot and it was one of the best things I had ever had. The brown sugar was a caramel substitute but had many of the same flavors.

My next batch I will back-sweeten with homemade caramel syrup. check out this thread on how to make some.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/20-lb-sugar-jar-yeast-nutrient-114837/
I am not a big fan of chemicals and additives so I will not be using the DAP. Reilly all the DAP does is lower the caramelization point. Because of that I will need to get my mix up to about 320º to get the same dark caramel.

Also I will not pre-pasteurize the liquid before bottling but rater do it after that way I can allow some to carbonate and some to be still, but by pasteurizing it I will have a beverage that could last for years on the shelf not that it will make it that far :)

Yeah, I'm not a fan of adding chemicals unnecessarily either. It does sound like a great idea. I'll have to think it over... I probably won't have time to start my brew for another couple days or so.

OK, thinking it over is done! I think I will be using caramelized sugar in conjuction with EdWort's Apfelwein.

I'm going to call it EdWort's Caramelized Apfelwein! Thanks EdWort, I guess I'll be the next to curse your name!

ApfelweinWarning.jpg

Drink a quart of water and take 3 aspirin before going to sleep tol help reduce the effects of excessive Apfelwein consumption as well as the urge to call EdWort a M'F**kR the next morning!
:D

Back