Any suggestions for a good honey wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cable Guy

Reaction score
I'm going to brew this weekend and my wife would like a honey wheat. Any suggestions or past experiences with a great honey wheat kit??
This will be my second brew and we both are looking forward to it.

Price: $24.15 (Product is part of our Free shipping Program, see details)

Weight: 12.00LBS

Availability: Usually ships within 24 to 48 hours

Perishable:Due to this product being perishable we can only accept returns in certain circumstances.
Add 1 Of Safale S-04(11.5g) - 1.60
Add 1 Of White Labs - English Ale - 5.75
Order Qty:
(Makes 5 gallons) We would not have put 3lbs of honey with 4.5 lbs of malt extract in a pale ale, but Jim had no fear and did just that. The result - a really nice mix of malt and honey flavors. There is enough honey to make it through into the flavor. Just a little Cascade hops in the beginning and finish keep the flavor emphasis on the honey. He suggests WLP002 because it is less attenuative and leaves more malt behind.

Check my sig for a recipe....it won a BoS last summer. One of the best I've done.

I just re-brewed it last week.

I can convert it to extract for yoo if it doesn't already say how to in the notes....

TBB, forget that post I sent you I found it on the site. Thanks!!! Dude, I would love to try that recipie. I'm not up to AG yet so it may be a couple of months but I will post after and let you know. Sounds delicious... :mug:

Dude,

Not to Hijack but I saw this thread. The beer sounds fantastic. I have put some local bee farm honey in a few of my beers and everyone loves them. Could I get you to convert your recipe to extract??

Thanks in Advance:mug:

BierMuncher said:
Dude, does the WLP380 give any clove-like flavors or is it more neutral?

You mean the 320?

Imagine a mix of 001 and 300. Not as clovey/banana as a german hefe but still there slightly. Drink a widmer and you'll know what mine tastes like.

It is about perfect for me because I'm not huge into the German hefes.

This may sound stupid, but are there any dangers to brewing with honey?

I am planning a summer brew to be drinking in july and was considering the B3 honey pale, but then I saw the Dude's recipe and became intrigued. Any thoughts on either, with respect to aging and flavor considerations, would be much appreciated.

Cheers! :mug:

Nope honey is a great sugar to use, ferments out nicely and gives a good abv boost.

However the honey malt is a must if you actually want a honey flavor to come through. n my experience using only honey leaves almost no taste of honey. I do love that honey malt too.

Back