Dogfish Red and White; Black and Blue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoaringBrewer

Reaction score
Anyone try either of these new 2007, limited availability (limited to Rehobeth Brewpub in 750mL bottles) Dogfish brews?! Just curious as I am heading down to Rehobeth this weekend for a late-spring weekend getaway and am hopefully going to be picking some of these bombers up!

I think I'm really going to enjoy the big belgian wit with orange and corriander. I had an 8.5% offering similar just a few weeks ago at Selinsgrove Brewing and it was superb.

I'm normally not a *huge* fan of 10% belgian strong ales, but I like to try as many different types, styles, etc. as possible. The black and blue *may* hit my spot with the additional fruitiness of the berries?

Oh well, if worse comes to worse I'll just be stuck drinking 60 and 90 Min IPA. What a shame. :D

Black & Blue
Availability: Limited - 750 ml bottles
Release Date: April 2007
New in 2007!
A belgian-style Strong ale fermented with blackberries and blueberries.
10% abv

Red & White
Availability: Limited - 750 ml bottles
Release Date: February 2007
New in 2007!
A big, belgian-style Wit brewed with coriander and orange peel and fermented with Pinot Noir juice. After fermentation a fraction of the batch is aged in Oregon Pinot Noir barrels, and another fraction is aged on oak staves. The beer is blended together before packaging. It successfully marries the refreshing citrusy qualities of a Belgian-style white beer with the robust complexity of a bold red wine.
10% abv

Tasted the Red and White at the Boulder Strong Ale Fest last friday...delicious, a great Wit with a definite hint of red wine.

I am going to Milford in a month, hoping that they will still be available. I like the concept of aging in wine barrels, but I've had some that just went wrong ( the Glenmorangie line I just can't get used to).

From my understanding these beers are not distributed (sorry Jay!), but served only at the Dogfish Brewery and Eats (the original brewpub) in Rehobeth. Though I'm sure you can get them at the Milford Brewery as well? Not certain though...

SilkkyBrew said:
From my understanding these beers are not distributed (sorry Jay!), but served only at the Dogfish Brewery and Eats (the original brewpub) in Rehobeth. Though I'm sure you can get them at the Milford Brewery as well? Not certain though...

Nah, I have picked up a couple bottles of the Red & White, and saw the Black and Blue (didn't have any money on me) last time I was at the local liquor store. They also have bottles of Pangea and Fort there, so I'm gonna have to run over with money sometime and pick up all 3.

Man i want to try these, and I think have the opportunity, to but have to work, a local bar up here is having a DFH hosted tasting with Limited Edition Dogfish Head Beers brought in from Sam Calagione's own cellar. But I have to work. ehhh Any one in the Dallas area its up in Addison at The flying saucer on monday at 7.

Are you sticking around for the Beer Dinner on Sunday? I think it may be sold out unless somebody cancelled, but I'll be there. Always great beer dinners. Marcell is doing a "Slathered in Sauce" theme this month.

But yes, the Red&White is great. I had some that was aged a bit at a beer dinner, and it was even better. I'll have to pick up some Black and Blue when I'm there.

We carry both of them at our store. They both taste like the base recipe for them is the Raison D'etre. There's this weird alcohol-y raisiny thing in both. Of the two, I like the Black and Blue better. It looks unreal. Such a brilliant ruby color. The fruit character isn't very up-front, more a subtle thing. I wouldn't buy them again, though, just because I don't like that raisiny thing that they both have. If they were a few bucks cheaper...maybe.

I picked up 2 bottled Red & White and 1 bottle Black & blue while down there. I plan to try them soon and post my impressions. I also got the last 12oz. bottle of 3 year-old Vintage WW Stout (one girl told me it was out of stock, then another guy ran downstairs to the basement and said he found 1!) which I'm going to save for a special occassion. And same for the 120 minute IPA I picked up...

Overall I think I'm half crazy for spending $55ish dollars on three 25oz. bottles and two 12oz. bottles, but I don't get down that way too often (2-3 times a year) and the only thing sold around here is 60 Minute, 90 Minute, and sometimes the occasional Midas Touch, Raison, or a seasonal such as Aprihop. And then I think it's worth every penny to try some very extreme beers such as a 20%+ stout or a 20%, 120IBU IPA... but we'll see once I crack them.

I got a pic of my little stash to come. :)

Back