New brewer, going to start with a hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paranode

Reaction score
Hello all!

I am a beer lover and once I started reading how to brew beer and that it was actually cost-effective I simply had to dig deeper. Well it looks like they have made it easy for the newcomer to start brewing beer. I read and re-read all of the info on John Palmer's website "How To Brew" and picked up a brewing kit from my local supply store. Starting with Munton's Dry Wheat extract, Hallertauer hops, White Labs Hefeweizen IV yeast, and I thought I'd throw in some bitter orange peel near the end of the boil so I got that too. Shiner said they used orange peel in their hefeweizen and I like theirs so I thought I'd try that.

So I have a 6.5 gal bucket fermenter for the primary and a 5 gal carboy for secondary, and a separate 6.5 gal bottling bucket. I planned to use an airlock but I was reading some of the other threads and am concerned that this type of beer might have a very active fermentation and cause it to blow off. Is there really much risk of this?

The White Labs is supposed to be ready-to-go and shouldn't need a starter, right?

Also it looks like the use of a secondary fermenter is in question for the HW. I obviously don't want it to clear up... but should I move it to secondary just to keep it from the trub? Also it would be cool to keep an eye on it, I will probably try and switch out the 6.5 gal bucket with a 6.5 gal carboy in the future.

Finally, I read on Mr. Palmer's site that one might want to avoid drinking the last bit of yeast in the bottle when you drink the beer... is this even an issue with a hefeweizen since they are supposed to be that way? I normally pour half a glass of HW then swirl the bottle and pour the rest.

Thanks for all of your help and I know that this site will be very useful in the times ahead. Can't wait to get started with this hobby!

Here's what I did for my phenomenal HW:

1. Boil 1 oz of Hallertau in 3 gallons of water for 40 minutes
2. Add .25 oz of hallertau and boil for 10 minutes
3. Add 6 lbs of Wheat DME and boil for another 10 minutes
4. Cool and rack to primary
5. Pitch
6. Wait 2 weeks, then bottle or keg.

Ah so you actually boil the hops well before you put in the DME? I thought you were supposed to wait for the hot break for the hops. Interesting.

Also I don't have a 'tube' for checking gravity with a hydrometer. I guess it's not okay to leave it in a secondary fermentor?

paranode said:
Ah so you actually boil the hops well before you put in the DME? I thought you were supposed to wait for the hot break for the hops. Interesting.

Also I don't have a 'tube' for checking gravity with a hydrometer. I guess it's not okay to leave it in a secondary fermentor?

Late Malt Additions mean a lighter colored beer with less chance of scorching. Trust me on this, it turns out wonderful

paranode said:
Hello all!
Finally, I read on Mr. Palmer's site that one might want to avoid drinking the last bit of yeast in the bottle when you drink the beer... is this even an issue with a hefeweizen since they are supposed to be that way? I normally pour half a glass of HW then swirl the bottle and pour the rest.

Paranode,

I would not rack to a secondary! In the case of this style of beer, trub is your friend. At least I would venture that some German brewers of this style would agree. Having spent time in Germany and inulging in Heffe WeiB, many of locals across the regions refered to the yeast or trub at the bottom of each bottle as "the healthy part". Many homebrewers brew not only for taste, but for the aesthetics (sp?). I have read dozens of threads by entry level brewers asking how to brew clear beer! This beer would be the exception. Although, there is a "krystal" Weisse available in Germany.

Most seem to be worried that left in primary for longer than two or so weeks will somehow ruin the beer's taste. But after reading many of posts from veteren brewers, this simply isn't the case. It is true, however, that the longer a beer is left on the yeast, the greater the chance of off flavors developing. But I think it's safe to say (as a novice with no more than three brews under his belt) that up to three weeks won't have any serious adverse effects on the beer or its' taste.

So, just to let you know, I will be brewing my first WeiB beer in a week that I will be looking to encourage no less than an eighth of one inch of yeast per bottle of this great beer style.

Good luck....

Another new guy here, also trying a hefe as my first brew, as it's my favored style of beer (figure I'll be able to judge how it turns out if I choose a style I'm very familiar with). I'm trying a Paulaner HW clone; plan is to let it sit in primary for 2 weeks or so, then directly to bottle, no secondary.

I drink all the commerical HWs "mit hefe", so I don't see why I wouldn't do the same with mine.

If you use the right yeast, which it sounds like you are, it doesn't matter what you do, it will stay cloudy. Racking to secondary is a personal preference on this style. It won't hurt your beer either way, it won't clear up too much in secondary, and it won't have too many off flavors if you bottle right from primary. so condition as your beer guides you.

I've done a couple HWs in my lifetime (more than 6 batches alone last year and I'd venture a guess probably 30+ batches in all).

I started late addition brews last year and am pleased with the results.

Using the right yeast is the key.:D

Have one fermenting right now, advance notice: It will stink up your house.

paranode said:
am concerned that this type of beer might have a very active fermentation and cause it to blow off. Is there really much risk of this?

I know from experience. Yes.

FYI: Here's one week primary, 1 week secondary sample I just pulled. Its using WLP300 Yeast... also its an all-grain Hefe. Probably gonna bottles tommorow or Sunday.

Sidenote: That's Germany in the background ;)

HefeW2.jpg

lgtg said:
Paranode,

I would not rack to a secondary! In the case of this style of beer, trub is your friend. At least I would venture that some German brewers of this style would agree. Having spent time in Germany and inulging in Heffe WeiB, many of locals across the regions refered to the yeast or trub at the bottom of each bottle as "the healthy part". Many homebrewers brew not only for taste, but for the aesthetics (sp?). I have read dozens of threads by entry level brewers asking how to brew clear beer! This beer would be the exception. Although, there is a "krystal" Weisse available in Germany.
Since Hefeweizen is one of my favorite styles to brew I have to be a little bit of a stickler/homebrewing ass here! What winds up in the bottom of the bottles is really just yeast that has flocculated during the bottle conditioning phase. It is indeed considered very healthy (and good for the skin), but is primarily yeast and not other trubby materials. Hefeweizen is usually passed through a conditioning/clearing tank before being bottled and unless they were disturbed, they'll pour pretty clear from the bottle until you introduce the yeast cake at the bottom.

Not wanting your Hefeweizen to clear is a bit of a homebrewing myth, I think, because as long as you bottle condition you'll get the yeast cake that you can mix into the glass for the cloudy effect and flavor. OTOH, I have bottled Hefeweizens without a secondary or regards to clearing and they tasted fantastic! So I think this comes down to the brewer's preference (like so many other things).

I know Brewpastor loves a good Hefeweizen, so maybe he'll chime in with some good advice.

It depends on the bottle, crown cap versus flippie -- crown work best, but lately I've been doing the pour where you place the bottle in the glass and slowly pull it out and I have to admit not stirring up most of the yeast makes the brews just cloudy enough without sediment floating around.

Well, she's in the fermenter now after a long beginner's day of brewing. Let's hope she turns out wonderfully. :)

I did .75 oz Hallertau for 40 mins, .25 oz for 5 mins, bitter orange peel for 5 mins, and extract for 10 mins.

Back