Simcoe Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eanmcnulty

Reaction score
I have made pale ales and IPA's using Simcoe hops as the only hop or as partner with Cascade. At first I didn't really care for the first all-Simcoe I brewed, but when I found a lost bottle after a good six months I loved it. It smelled like oranges. The flavor was pretty good too. I used US-05 as the yeast. I asume the oranginess is coming from the Simcoe. I would like to get that aroma and flavor again in a simple brew.

I have been working on a series of Spotted Cow clones. The two I have completed were awesome. I brewed it with Wyeast 2565 (Kolsch). I like to simplify where I can, so I am going to try Safale K-97 in the next clone.

I have been reading about this Cascade/Orange pale ale that uses orange and coriander in it. It sounds amazing, and I will eventually try to brew it.

So, I am trying to make a very simple recipe but also get that orangy/creamy/Kolschy/Belgiany sort of bright pale ale.

Here is the recipe. I am going to brew it three times with the following three Safale yeasts.

2.5 gallon recipe: OG 1.060
5# Pale 2 Row 91%
.50# Crystal 20L 9%
.25 oz Simcoe 60 min
.50 oz Simcoe 15 min
.25 oz Simcoe 5 min

SafAle Kolsch K-97
SafAle Belgian S-33
SafAle Belgian T-58

Does this simple recipe spark any interest from anyone? Are there any problems that you might see? Any other grain or hops that might add to what I'm trying to get? Would the addition of some Cascades help? Is this thread just a big confusion?

From what I've heard both Summit and Newport hops contribute an orange citrus flavor.

PurpleJeepXJ said:
I am getting a 50 IBU using and AAU of 13. I would say to dry hop with .5oz of cascade and it should make a damn good beer.

Beer Smith has 12.5% listed. I will have to adjust when I buy ingredients. Maybe a Casacde dry is what it needs. Thanks!

Boy said:
From what I've heard both Summit and Newport hops contribute an orange citrus flavor.

I've never even seen Newport hops. Do you know what commercial beer uses them. I will have to do a little more research.

I've never even seen Newport hops. Do you know what commercial beer uses them. I will have to do a little more research.

Rogue has started using them in a few of their beers. I know of a few others but I don't have my list. I'll post again saturday night with others I know of.

Back