5 Gallon Carboy Primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backwards

Reaction score
Curious as to why more folks don't primary in a 5 gal carboy. I have a California Steam going right now with a 5/8" blowoff tube and everything seems to be working well. However, I am new to the hobby and admit that I may be making a mistake here. What think ye?

i think i am being misunderstood. i'm not talking about secondary - i can see this forum loves to secondary and that's great. i am asking why i hear so much about doing the primary in 6.5 gal carboys/buckets. there you go.

cause if you do it in anything less.. youre likly to have blowoff (when the krausen goes through the top)... so the more headspace (up to a point) you have, the better off you will be.

edit*
oh you know that.. well, its better to not have blow off and have krausen, then to loose the stuff in the blow off...

Most batches are written in increments that'll get you 5 or 10 gallons.
Working backwards, you'll need more than five in the primary to get you five down the road because of anticpated loss due to trub ect.

I like a larger carboy because I make 5.5 gallon batches so that I end up with a full 5 gallons in the keg. That and I have limited space with no room for a blowoff tube. If you have only 5 gallons in the carboy, a blowoff tube, and sufficient space in your "blowoff container", I don't see why it wouldn't work. If you have a very active fermentation you may overload the tube. You are trying it now...so...if it works....it works. My rule has always been to find something that works for you and then stick with it.

My goal is to end up with 5 gallons of finished beer. This means I put about 6 gallons of wort in the primary. I use 6 1/2 gallon carboys with a blow off tube. I usually don't loose too much beer with this method. :mug:

backwards said:
i think i am being misunderstood. i'm not talking about secondary - i can see this forum loves to secondary and that's great. i am asking why i hear so much about doing the primary in 6.5 gal carboys/buckets. there you go.

Well I'm old school and use a bucket. Carboys are fine and all that but buckets for primaries are better because:

1) Easier to hit with the wort
2) Can get really big buckets
3) Can areate really good
4) Cheap
5) Unbreakable
6) Easier to clean
7) Easier to siphon from
8) Don't crack when using brew belts
9) More reasons I can't think of right now

Then I go to glass secondary...Maybe I missed the thread? Oh well.

treehouse said:
Well I'm old school and use a bucket. Carboys are fine and all that but buckets for primaries are better because...

This ought to start the age old debate....glass vs plastic. Each has their pros and cons. Some like glass...some like plastic. Everyone needs to go with what works for them...just don't make a blanket statement that one is better than the other. Truthfully, I feel that plastic buckets are harder to clean because of the potential for scratching surfaces.

vtfan99 said:
I like a larger carboy because I make 5.5 gallon batches so that I end up with a full 5 gallons in the keg. That and I have limited space with no room for a blowoff tube. If you have only 5 gallons in the carboy, a blowoff tube, and sufficient space in your "blowoff container", I don't see why it wouldn't work. If you have a very active fermentation you may overload the tube. You are trying it now...so...if it works....it works. My rule has always been to find something that works for you and then stick with it.

thanks for all the replies thus far. i need to check the brew this morning - but last night things were bubbling away. i am not so concerned with getting exactly 5 gallons for a keg - really concerned about getting a nice, drinkable brew to share with others. so, i'll let the forum know how it all turn out and stick with the method if it works.

I only have 5 gal carboys and use them for primary and secondary (though I may use kegs for secondary as well). I always fill them such that they will blow-off and most of the expelled hop resins cling to the top or are blown out. I can get to about 5 gal into the keg or bottles if I add kraeusen. This allows me to have only one kind of carboy and the 3 I have can either be seconday or primary.

Just as another thought on the subject.

Kai

what about the taste factor (which that is really all the matters):D ??? does removing the crap on top (hops, protiens and whatnot) from your brew make a better brew!! "joy of homebrewing" swears by this technique and palmer likes it also. i know if you rack after a wk or so you are taking it off the trub, but does not allowing the "crap" (mentioned above) to go back into your brew have a positive effect on the overall outcome of your beer?

thenatibrewer said:
does removing the crap on top (hops, protiens and whatnot) from your brew make a better brew!! "joy of homebrewing" swears by this technique and palmer likes it also.

Most of the literature I have read also recommends that the beer is racked before the kraeusen falls or that the kraeusen is skimmed or blown-off. I believe that there is merit to this practice though I do lack the benefit of a side-by-side comparison. It might be that it only makes a difference for lighter beers.

Kai

Back