Can someone please help me convert a 7-gallon recipe to a 5-gallon recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makisupa

Reaction score
Can someone please help me reformat the recipe to a 5-gallon batch? I asked my local homebrew store to prep a recipe kit for me and they kindly asked I re-format it to 5-gallons. This is will be my third homebrew. I'm a n00b but I really want to give this recipe a shot:

SIERRA NEVADA KELLARWEISS
OG: 1.052 = 12.8 P
FG: 1.014 = 3.5 P
IBU: 15

Boil duration: 60
preboil volume: 7 gal
preboil gravity: 1.047
Mash efficiency: 70%
Boil off rate: 10%/hr

Grain
2-row pale malt: 6.25 lb
Wheat malt (probably German?): 4.5 lb
Munich malt (probably German?): 0.5 lb

Hops
Perle or Sterling - 60? min - ~0.5oz @ 8%AA

Yeast
Kellerweis cultured from dregs of S.N. Kellerweis (I'm going to use Wyeast Bavarian).

I gave them another recipe and they liked the formatting. I did it this way:

AVERY MAHARAJA IMPERIAL IPA
OG: 1.090
AE: 1.012

Grist:
Pale 2-Row – 93.8%
Victory Malt – 3.1%
C-120 – 3.1%

Hops:
60min – Columbus (13.9% AA) - 1.09 oz
30min – Columbus (13.9% AA) - 1.09 oz
0min – Centennial (13.9% AA) 2.18 oz
0min – Simcoe (11.4% AA)( - 2.18 oz
Dry-Hop – Simcoe – 4.38 oz
Dry-Hop – Centennial – 2.18oz
Dry-Hop – Chinook – 2.18 oz

Yeast – California (maybe Wyeast 1028?)
Ferm Temp – 74F

Thanks so much in advance.

Wow, seems weird that they want it formatted as a 5-gallon batch. It seems like it'd be easier to portion out as a 7-gallon recipe. Anyways, here it is scaled down to 5-gallons.

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.17 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 55.56 %
3.00 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 40.00 %
0.33 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 4.44 %
0.57 oz Sterling [8.00 %] (60 min) Hops 7.6 IBU

to convert down just find the magic number that you multiple 7 by to get 5.

so in this case 7*.714=5

So anything your recipe that asks for just mulitpe it by .714 and that's what you need.

*or you could use a beer tool program*

Thanks everyone for such quick responses. @Yooper, could you explain a little more about 7-gallon pre-boils? Note: I'm boiling in a 5-gallon brew kettle.

You're gonna boil-off some of the liquid and you're gonna lose some to trub. You start off with 7 gallons of liquid and end up with 5 gallons of beer.

You're gonna boil-off some of the liquid and you're gonna lose some to trub. You start off with 7 gallons of liquid and end up with 5 gallons of beer.

Yeah- it's already a 5 gallon recipe. If you look, the preboil OG is different than the OG for the brew. That's because the guy who wrote this recipe boils off 1.5 gallons or so during the boil.

The recipe looks like it IS a 5 gallon recipe. If you're using a 5 gallon kettle, either you want a 3 gallon recipe, or you are wanting a partial mash recipe.

Are you currently an all-grain brewer, or does this need to be converted to a partial mash/extract recipe?

I'm an extract brewer at this point following Mark and Tess clone recipes. Their store is about 20-minutes from my house which is convenient. My first two batches were kits they made (Brooklyn Brown and Tripel Karmeliet). Now, I'm trying to find recipes on-line and have them make up the kits to my specs.

I'm an extract brewer at this point following Mark and Tess clone recipes. Their store is about 20-minutes from my house which is convenient. My first two batches were kits they made (Brooklyn Brown and Tripel Karmeliet). Now, I'm trying to find recipes on-line and have them make up the kits to my specs.

Gotcha. Well, the first recipe already IS a 5 gallon batch. It can be converted by them, or by one of us if they don't want to.

to convert down just find the magic number that you multiple 7 by to get 5.

so in this case 7*.714=5

So anything your recipe that asks for just mulitpe it by .714 and that's what you need.

*or you could use a beer tool program*

You mean multiply by 5/7's? ;)

Thanks everyone for such quick responses. @Yooper, could you explain a little more about 7-gallon pre-boils? Note: I'm boiling in a 5-gallon brew kettle.

Well, if you have a 5-gallon brew kettle then you will probably want to do a 3 gallon batch? Multiply everything by 3/7's.

Both of those recipes are all-grain. Are they converting it to extract for you? If not, myself or someone else can do it for you.

Also, as others have said, those are already 5 gallon batches and you don't need to do any multiplication to scale it. I'm surprised they didn't realize that at your LHBS.

I received this response on Northern Brewer Homebrew Forum. I'm guessing I need conversion to extract forumla?

Here it is scaled down a bit for you leaving 5.5 gallons at the end of the boil, but honestly what you had posted looked about right for what my half batches are. I target to end with 6 gallons at the end of the boil leaving behind around .5 gallons of trub/break material in the kettle leaving 5.5 going into the carboy, then when I rack I leave .5 gallon of trub in the carboy giving 5 gallons of clean finished beer. My experience with the kellerweis yeast is to ferment no higher than 65. I also think you should use Pilsner malt and not Pale 2-row

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

15-A German Wheat and Rye Beer, Weizen/Weissbier

Min OG: 1.044 Max OG: 1.052
Min IBU: 8 Max IBU: 15
Min Clr: 2 Max Clr: 8 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 10.31
Anticipated OG: 1.052 Plato: 12.95
Anticipated SRM: 3.8
Anticipated IBU: 15.2
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 6.47 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.045 SG 11.08 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
55.6 5.73 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
40.0 4.13 lbs. Wheat Malt Germany 1.039 2
4.4 0.46 lbs. Munich Malt Germany 1.037 8

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.46 oz. Perle Whole 8.25 15.2 60 min.

Yeast
-----

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 10.31
Water Qts: 14.96 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 3.74 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.45 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 153 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 168 Time: 15
Sparge Temp : 170 Time: 45

Total Mash Volume Gal: 4.57 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

Here's my gut answer. I didn't plug this into pro mash yet but it's probably close.

% LB OZ Malt or Fermentable ppg °L
67% 6 0 Wheat Malt Extract Syrup info 36 3
33% 3 0 Wheat Dry Extract info 44 8

Hops

use time oz variety
Boil 60 mins 1.0 Sterling

Back