Thoughts On My American Cream Ale Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IncredibleMulk

Reaction score
I'm a relatively new brewer and love experimenting. I've now done several kits and on my last batch ventured out on my own with a Baltic Porter. It was nice not working within the confines of a kit and fun putting it all together with some help. I've decided to do an American Cream Ale for my next brew and found a recipe that I liked online, however, I wanted to make some adjustments and make it more along the lines that I want it. I've run it through my software and it looks good, just want some thoughts and critiques.

5.5 lbs Extra Pale Liquid Extract
1 lbs 6 Row
1 lbs CaraPils
.5 lbs Corn (Flaked)
1 oz. Hallertauer (60 min)
1 oz. Cascade (10 min)
1 oz. Williamette (2 min)
Wyeast 1056 American Ale

OG: 1.051

Thanks!

Your recipe looks fine. It's your recipe, if it were mine, I'd try this for my own taste.
My thoughts:

1. lessen or remove the cascade
2. Add some light crystal (0.25#)
3. increase corn (to 0.75#)

Interesting you mentioned increasing the corn, I've gone back and forth on that. I originally had it at a full pound, but the corn is really only going to affect the mouthfeel don't you think?

Yes. The corn will bring a noticeable sweetness and sharp body to the beer.

I tend to be more of an extremist when I brew though, I guess another way of saying is that I don't like subtleties or hints and a hallmark of Cream Ale's is the maize. However, I will say that in most recipes I've made from scratch, I always taste the beer and look back on them and rarely do I say that it needed more of this, most of the time, any adjustments are decreases.

I think you're going to have a great beer not matter what you do.

I thought I remember reading somewhere that you have to mash flaked corn, and it can't really utilized by steeping it?

I thought I remember reading somewhere that you have to mash flaked corn, and it can't really utilized by steeping it?

That is what I have thought as well. Not only does it need to be mashed, but it's a good idea to mash it with other grains that have higher diastatic power like 6-row and wheat.

With the 1# of 6-row, carapils and 0.5# corn, I was assuming a mash.

Here's my recipe:

8 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter 80.00 %
1 lbs Corn, Flaked 10.00 %
8.0 oz Biscuit Malt 5.00 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine 5.00 %

1.00 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [3.50 %] (60 min) Hops 10.0 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz [3.50 %] (10 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz [3.50 %] (5 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep)

You could convert it to a partial mash by using 4 pounds of DME and 2 pounds of 6 row instead of the maris otter malt. (This recipe and IBUs assumes a full boil and a 5.5 gallon batch).

I like to use about 10% corn in a cream ale. I think the cascade is out of place, although I love cascade hops. They can overpower the cream ale flavor, in my opinion. A noble hop seems to fit better.

Incredible, are you doing an extract with steeping grains process or a partial mash?

I am doing a partial mash with this. I'll mash for 45 min at 155 degrees and sparge for 10 at 170 degrees. I had the flaked corn milled with my other grains as well.

I think the cascade is out of place, although I love cascade hops. They can overpower the cream ale flavor, in my opinion. A noble hop seems to fit better.

Cascade seemed right to me being a "true American" brew. I'm using them more for the aroma than anything.

Thanks for all of the thoughts and suggestions thus far!

Here's my recipe:

8 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter 80.00 %
1 lbs Corn, Flaked 10.00 %
8.0 oz Biscuit Malt 5.00 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine 5.00 %

1.00 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [3.50 %] (60 min) Hops 10.0 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz [3.50 %] (10 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz [3.50 %] (5 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep)

You could convert it to a partial mash by using 4 pounds of DME and 2 pounds of 6 row instead of the maris otter malt. (This recipe and IBUs assumes a full boil and a 5.5 gallon batch).

I like to use about 10% corn in a cream ale. I think the cascade is out of place, although I love cascade hops. They can overpower the cream ale flavor, in my opinion. A noble hop seems to fit better.

Thanks for sharing this with us YooperBrew! I like the idea of Saaz, I've used them in my last couple of brews and really like them. Out of curiosity, what yeast are you pitching?

Thanks!

Thanks for sharing this with us YooperBrew! I like the idea of Saaz, I've used them in my last couple of brews and really like them. Out of curiosity, what yeast are you pitching?

Thanks!

Each time, I've used a "clean" well attenuating ale yeast at a cool temperature. I've done it with Nottingham at 60 degrees, S05 at 63 degrees, and WLP at 65 degrees. I've chosen my yeast based on my ambient temperature, so I don't have to do any temperature control. My basement is in the high 50s-60 in the spring, so it works out great!

Each time, I've used a "clean" well attenuating ale yeast at a cool temperature. I've done it with Nottingham at 60 degrees, S05 at 63 degrees, and WLP at 65 degrees. I've chosen my yeast based on my ambient temperature, so I don't have to do any temperature control. My basement is in the high 50s-60 in the spring, so it works out great!

Would love to have a basement! Those are unheard of in Texas LOL. In regards to the yeast, S05 and Wyeast 1056 should be about the same right? I heavily considered the White Labs Cream Ale blend on this as well.

I think I'm gonna go brew this right now bought the stuff yesterday! :rockin:

Back