How much is left?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richardwhittaker

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any trick to tell how much CO2 is left in a cylinder? I have two tanks they both show 750 pound on the regulator however One was filled a little while ago and the other I got with some gas in it. I have heard that as long as the have liquid CO2 in them the pressure stays about the same? Is this true?

Richard

Weigh them. I don't remember what they are suppose to weigh. Call your gas supplier and thy'll tell you. The bottles might be stamped with th tare weight (T.W.). Luck - Dwain

dwain has it right, get the tare weight of the cylinder, usually on the top portion labeled T W, then get a scale and subtract the tare weight from the scale weight. Don't try to rely on the pressure reading as it varies a lot depending on what temp you have it at.

I have heard that as long as the have liquid CO2 in them the pressure stays about the same? Is this true?

Correct. Until you get to the running on fumes stage, tank pressure is a function of temperature. On the other hand, when the gauge hits 300 psi, start planning on getting more. With two tanks, I just run one down, then stick it in the van. My supplier is 25 miles away, so I'm not willing to make a special trip, but I get out there 3-4 times a month.

Even with a #5 tank, the fumes will push a couple cornies or carbonate one.

Most 5# tanks weigh about 17# when they're full, but it can vary. Finding the tare weight and subtracting from the total weight is the best way.

Back