Gelatin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtrainer

BeerCzar I am
Reaction score
So last night I was rather PUI'd and tried to refrain from posting.... Anyhow I lost my thread I was interested in... and have a question about Gelatin, specifically Knox brand.

Last night I read in some thread to not use Knox brand gelatin rather get the stuff at the LHBS. I've been pondering this off and on all day, I want to know why?

I use KNOX brand gelatin and get great results when preparing party beer. Party beer is beer I've cleared with gelatin specifically for party presentation. Knox has always done a great job for me....

thnkx

Maybe the person wasn't aware you could buy unflavored, non colored gelatin (knox brand) at a grocery store. Maybe they thought someone was trying to use Jello or something. If they were specifically referring to the unflavored, non colored knox gelatin, then they are absolutely wrong.

Cool. I'll stay the course then. Knox gelatin for me... My LHBS was rather expensive for this considering I hit maybe 5 kegs a year with gelatin....

It just didn't make sense but I was in no good frame of mind to be posting comments/questions... I would have politicized the thread at that point. ;)

Maybe the person wasn't aware you could buy unflavored, non colored gelatin (knox brand) at a grocery store. Maybe they thought someone was trying to use Jello or something. If they were specifically referring to the unflavored, non colored knox gelatin, then they are absolutely wrong.
:off: I wonder....I'm gonna make a Cream of Three Crops type beer this weekend, and hit it with a good chunk of lime zest to satisfy the SWMBOs desire for BL Lime, (stop yelling at me). Maybe I should clear with Lime Jell-O instead of knox gelatin?? (Half serious on this...)

You know, it could work. I don't know what else is in jello besides sugar, flavoring and gelatin. It could work, except for the sugar possibly sweetening up the beer.

Not to hijack, but would someone mind taking a few quick seconds to give me the cliff notes on using gelatin when racking to a cornie? I've heard to boil it (but not sure how much), then add it to the cornie and rack on top of it. Give it a gentle shake and let her sit. Right, wrong?

Also, do you get any strange goo when you pull the first couple of pints?

Kinda wrong.

Suspend gelatin in cool water, (1 tbsp or one packet/100-200 mL). Let sit 20+ minutes.

Bring water to an "almost simmer". Turn off the heat when it looks like it might be ready to simmer. Alternatively, use a sanitized thermometer to get it up to about ~180.

I leave it at ~180 for a few minutes, to pasteurize it. Then, dump it into the cornie (no need to cool it). Rack on top. Alternatively, if you forgot to dump it in first, just pour it on top of the beer. I never shake it.

Chilling it after adding gelatin will give you the best results.

I get crap for the first pint or so, then clear.

Back