My Next Brew - Northern Brewer - Patersbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tapped my Patersbier keg two days ago, and I think I have already drank half of it.
It very easy drinking with a fast turnaround and very good. I will be making it again again.

Update on my T-58 version of this brew: I let the keg of this sit in the fridge on gas for the last 5 weeks at ~38*F, and took it to a brew-and-tell party last Friday. It won "Best of Show" for the party. It hadn't necessarily cleared up at all (that may have been a result of jostling the keg during transport), but it was absolutely delicious, and very drinkable. I will be doing this recipe again!

I have this kit and I'm making it this weekend. I was wondering what temperature everyone fermented at. I usually ferment at the low end of a yeast's range, which usually means 65F. However from what I gather, a lot of the character in this beer comes from the esters produced by the yeast. So should I ferment at a higher temp? Wyeast has 78F as the top ferm temp, but that seems ridiculously high. So what temps did you use?

I think I started upper 60s but only kept it there for 2 days and then let it go. Ambient here was about 75-78 at that time... Great Belgian esters without the hot alcohols I think you would get starting high.

I was initially interested in this beer because it sounds like the Chimay Dorée (Black), not sold in the commerce it is only available at Auberge de Poteaupré, Chimay Belgium. This beer is usually reserved for the use of the Chimay Trappists, so how could I not be attracted to it? I'm doing something that I think will be even better than the recipe's 3787 Trappist High Gravity yeast, rather I'm using WLP510 Bastogne Belgian Ale Yeast (PLATINUM)!!! It is right in line because the description is A high gravity, Trappist style ale yeast. Produces dry beer with slight acidic finish. Gotta love slightly acidic :rockin:

Just kegged a batch of this last night & had a taste. It definitely showcases the malt and yeast characters first and foremost - I'm hoping that the hops come out more with carbonation.

The esters and spicy Belgian yeast characteristics are pretty intense, and this batch was fermented at the lowest end of the temperature range, since it's cold here. I cant imagine what it would be like if you left the temp climb up into the 70's.

The NB notes about it being highly complex are spot-on. It's also extremely smooth and easy drinking! I'm really excited to get this one on tap!

as it so happens I will be in Milwaukee next weekend. I'm picking this kit up for sure. Sounds very good. I know the the NB kits all offer dry yeast or liquid. which did you guys choose?

This beer is a showcase for yeast. Use the liquid. I'm a big fan of dry yeast but Belgian styles call for a good liquid strain.

I added the extra 2 oz of table sugar. It's high carbonation and the bubbles run like champagne. This next round I'm going to only add one extra. It was just a bit too foamy for me.

Going to brew this in the next few days. Do you think some orange peel would taste good in this recipe. If so, sweet or bitter and approx. how much?

I picked up the kit and brewed today. Now I just have to wait till it's ready. It will hard to wait after hearing such good things from everyone here!

I'll be ready to bottle my batch on Tuesday! Can't wait to try this beer!

Used the wyeast 3787 trappist high gravity.... yeast went CRAZY after 8 hours! I had to put a blow out tube on!

3 weeks in primary
No secondary
At least 2 weeks in bottles (if I can make it)

Not to thread-jack or anything, but I've made the patersbier from NB and it's a fine beer, but everything on the NB review pages is 5 stars. "Best beer I ever made!" "Hit of the party!" "The empty keg was sawed open and we bathed in the dregs! Would brew again!"

I have brewed it before last summer and everyone liked it so much that I am getting ready to brew it again. For the price at NB you can't go wrong.

as it so happens I will be in Milwaukee next weekend. I'm picking this kit up for sure. Sounds very good. I know the the NB kits all offer dry yeast or liquid. which did you guys choose?

As craigd said, this beer is all about the yeast. I think this (and maybe the Tripel or other Belgians) is/are the only kits I've seen at NB that don't offer both liquid and dry yeast. Liquid only. If you're intimidated with liquid needing a starter, etc. -- I smacked the pack in the morning and by the evening it had swelled nicely, I pitched it, and the next day the lid almost blew off the top of my bucket. At 1.047 I think a decently cared-for smack pack can handle it fine.

EDIT: haha, just noticed your post was from a while ago and you already bought and brewed the kit :-D Mine's got a couple of weeks to go in primary and I'm already trying to decide if I should go ahead and make another one on its yeast cake.

troub> do it!

I am considering adding a 3rd tap to my kegerator so that I can keep a patersibeir on tap year round! (well, at least all summer!)

I brewed 5 gal of this on Wednesday night (3/30/11) and let it ferment at 66-68. Started at 1.044. Had a pretty good blowoff on Friday morning. Looked pretty quiet by Sunday morning (4/3/11) so I took a hydrometer reading and it was sitting at 1.009.

The sample tasted pretty nice, too. I can't wait for this one to be ready.

any ideas on ferm temps?

anyone who's made the AG beer, did you do the single infusion or the multi-step? any thoughts on either?

on mashing:

This sucker is all malt, so theres not much of a need to do multi step mash. I find that when I do a three step mash I get better efficiency and runoff, including on the simple patersbier and some SMaSH beers I've made. I see a correlation but I'm not (yet) convinced that the mash schedule is the cause.

what i'm saying is: If you've had success with single infusion on your other beers, keep it up with this one.

I brewed 5 gal of this on Wednesday night (3/30/11) and let it ferment at 66-68. Started at 1.044. Had a pretty good blowoff on Friday morning. Looked pretty quiet by Sunday morning (4/3/11) so I took a hydrometer reading and it was sitting at 1.009.

The sample tasted pretty nice, too. I can't wait for this one to be ready.

I brewed my latest version last Saturday, last night (wednesday) I noticed that the air lock was clogged, and the lid was about to blow off - lol

I forgot that this yeast is a beast - I actually blew the lid off of a bucket last time I brewed it. Note to self, use a hose next time.

Got the patersbier in primary right now. Did a grav reading today. OG was 1.042, sitting at 1.010 two weeks in. I'm thinking about letting it ride another week and then going straight to bottle. One question, if I'm using my ale pail/bottling bucket as the primary, should I rack to a carboy and bottle via siphon, or rack to carboy, rinse ale pail/bottling bucket and then rack back from carboy to ale pail? I don't want to bottle using the ale pail spigot straight from primary right? My concern about all the racking is of course oxidation. Suggestions?

Mrmorrison21 said:
Got the patersbier in primary right now. Did a grav reading today. OG was 1.042, sitting at 1.010 two weeks in. I'm thinking about letting it ride another week and then going straight to bottle. One question, if I'm using my ale pail/bottling bucket as the primary, should I rack to a carboy and bottle via siphon, or rack to carboy, rinse ale pail/bottling bucket and then rack back from carboy to ale pail? I don't want to bottle using the ale pail spigot straight from primary right? My concern about all the racking is of course oxidation. Suggestions?

I rack from primary to bottling bucket, connect one end of tubing to spigot and other end to bottle filler. This should minimize any oxidation.

Are you using your bottling bucket as your primary fermenter? I have a 6.5 gallon ale pail bucket used as my primary and then a separate 6.5 gallon bucket with a spigot for bottling.

kyle6286 said:
Are you using your bottling bucket as your primary fermenter? I have a 6.5 gallon ale pail bucket used as my primary and then a separate 6.5 gallon bucket with a spigot for bottling.

Exactly. I'm using my bottling bucket as my primary and don't have a second bucket. I do however have a clean carboy

I tapped my Patersbier keg two days ago, and I think I have already drank half of it.
It very easy drinking with a fast turnaround and very good. I will be making it again again.

:rockin: I can't keep my hands off of mine, even though it is only kegged for 2 weeks. I love it. It's a good summer beer like they said, fruity flavors yet light. Good texture and light in color. My OG was a little lower than the recipe stated but all in all, nice good summer beer with a good head retention. :fro:

Exactly. I'm using my bottling bucket as my primary and don't have a second bucket. I do however have a clean carboy

Well, if it were me, and I was in your shoes.... I would do a secondary fermentation for 2 weeks in the carboy. Which will give you plenty of time to either clean and sanitize your bucket or buy a new one ;)

P.S. my current paitersbier has been in secondary for almost a week now... I have been fighting the urge to keg it on a daily basis. I love this beer.

I made this last night from the NB recipe. My LHBS didn't have pilsen extract so I used their extra pale malt extract which Im told contains pilsen malt. I did the pre-steep with carapils though.

OG was 1.042 and 12 hours later I'm already getting foam from my 7.9 gallon primary bucket airlock. My plan is to primary 2 weeks, secondary 2 weeks and hope to be drinking it July 4. I'll take the advice and only add in one extra ounce of priming sugar.

I bottled using an auto-siphon from the primary fermented. Went smoothly. Hopefully all carbed up and good to go in a week or so. I can't wait!

Ordering the ingredients for this off of brewmasterswarehouse.com. They dont have tradition hops, figured I could use hallertau since tradition is a type of hallertau, would this work?

Brewed this on thursday and man that yeast is a crazy. Even with a blow off tube it is crazy bubbling away and some foam even got in the tube. I ended up on the higher side with a little over 5.5 gallons, probably should have boiled for a little longer but it should all work out in the end with trub loss.

Excited to drink this one.

Back