Moving to Norman, OK

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acarter5251

Reaction score
Are there any good breweries in the area I should check out? Also any good places to pick up a good variety of beers (beer stores or bars)?

Thanks!

I can't help much with Norman but when you are in Oklahoma City a couple of bars that have a good selection are Republic on Classen curve and TapWerks in Bricktown. Both have over 100 beers on tap and more bottles. Republic is the nicer of the two and also has good food. There are several liquor stores in Oklahoma City that have a good selection. Byron's on NW 23rd also has good prices.
I am sure there are a couple of good choices in Norman, hopefully someone can point you in the right direction.

I can't help much with Norman but when you are in Oklahoma City a couple of bars that have a good selection are Republic on Classen curve and TapWerks in Bricktown. Both have over 100 beers on tap and more bottles. Republic is the nicer of the two and also has good food. There are several liquor stores in Oklahoma City that have a good selection. Byron's on NW 23rd also has good prices.
I am sure there are a couple of good choices in Norman, hopefully someone can point you in the right direction.

Thanks! I'll keep those in mind.

Norman has a couple of Brew Pubs but no breweries yet. Coach's brewpub and Das Boot is a German brewpub with several of their own house brews( just outside of Norman Das Boot has a sister location that's I really like in Royal Bavaria nice Bier Garten). It's a college town so there are several good bars with great beer selections too. McNellies has a place in Norman which always has a great selection. There's a pub on the west side of town that's fairly new that's pretty good but the name escapes me. I believe it's on Robinson and 36th? Some awesome breweries are just north of there in OKC and Midwest City. Let's see there's Roughtail, Anthem, COOP, and Mustang. There are a couple new ones about to open as well, Elk Valley is one. I'm sure I've forgotten a few. The beer scene isn't by any stretch the best or even close...yet. However it's getting better every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Oh the Cellar is a liquor store in Norman that probably has a better selection than Byron's. It's a college town it shouldn't be too hard to find some booze and beers at a decent price. Food around campus is generally pretty awesome and cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The garage has pretty good burgers and a nice beer selection (albeit expensive). I would second das boot on Main St. They have an amazing student discount beer special but I don't remember what it is....probably from how much I can afford on their special :)

Thanks everyone! I'll be sure to check some of these places out when I get there!

By the looks of some of the previous threads, Norman wouldn't make any of their top 10 lists. I live in Norman and its just fine.

Liquor Store - Cellar has the most number of beers but 'Joe's' has (12th and Alameda) has more of a changing selection. I tend to go there more for harder to find stuff, new releases or season al's.

Bar - As stated above McNellie's is a great place to go. Has 25? handles and about 17-18 rotate each month. Also, a huge bottle list. They have pint night on Mondays and host beer dinners on a fairly regular basis. The 'Library', which is right across from the OU campus is a hidden gem. its very small but they have a great selection of craft brew on tap.

There are plenty more in both categories but after spending a while here in college and now working here, these are the ones I frequent the most.

Brew Pub - you're kind of luck with brewpubs in OK in my opinion. We have the 3.2 law here and no alcohol that is brewed and served on premises can have higher than a higher than 3.2 alcohol. So, the beers here at brewpubs seem a bit watered down and don't have the alcohol content that the different styles generally have. Coaches, as mentioned above is closed. There is a place called Das Boot, which gets its beer and is owned (I think) by 'Royal Bavaria' in Moore. I've never been to Das Boot, but Royal Bavaria is great and i've been told they are the same menu.

If you like brewing with other people, let me know. It's always nice to meet other local people in the hobby. There are also a few good home brew shops and home brew clubs. The OKC beer scene is not Denver or anything like that, but there are a couple good and active breweries here and the craft beer community is growing steadily!

Back