Cracked open my SN Bigfoot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had one at beef o bradys a few nights ago, the bitterness to me just seemed super harsh, but i have thought that before with some of SN's other brews. I like some hoppy beers but I guess Im not a hop head. glad that you liked it but it was just not for me

I had one at beef o bradys a few nights ago, the bitterness to me just seemed super harsh, but i have thought that before with some of SN's other brews. I like some hoppy beers but I guess Im not a hop head. glad that you liked it but it was just not for me

They are actually best when aged 3-5 years, in which time that over powering bitterness will have dropped off considerable.

They are actually best when aged 3-5 years, in which time that over powering bitterness will have dropped off considerable.

He speaks true. The 2005 I have barely has any hop bitterness in it. Just good ol'smooth drinking Ale.

I like Bigfoot, but I have what I’m sure is a rather stupid question. People say that Bigfoot is best when it is aged a few years and the hop flavor has mellowed a bit. But isn’t the overwhelming hop presence characteristic of the American barleywine? It just seems like if you wanted your barleywine to mellow a bit, you might be better off going with an English example.

(Had a Brooklyn Monster Ale last night and enjoyed it as well.)

I'm with you Handle, I love this sucker fresh. It has such a nice hop aroma that I'd hate to lose out on. I will say that the flavors would probably be more harmonious after a little aging. I bet 6 months would be the sweet spot for me.

American Barleywines are great for a vertical tasting for this reason. You can see how the hop and malt flavor changes with age. I have had fresh bigfoot (as fresh as can be in Texas) and 5 year old bigfoot. Definitely different beers, but both very good.

If you love the big hop barleywine flavor, you need to try Avery Hog Heaven.

Eric

Back