My Next Brew - Northern Brewer - Patersbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW, I did the AG kit this summer and it's quite good. Nice fruity notes from the yeast with a slightly biscuity finish. Very interesting beer indeed. Definitely give it a try.

Looks very simple and refreshing. Sounds like most of the complexity comes from the yeast, with a little hop character for good measure. The CaraPils should give it a thick head with nice lacing. Often times the most simple recipes are the best. Let us know how it turns out.

Yeah...I made it and I'm almost done with it.

I ordered a Cream Ale kit and another round of Patersbier.

I added the extra 2 oz of table sugar. It's high carbonation and the bubbles run like champagne. This next round I'm going to only add one extra. It was just a bit too foamy for me.

As for the written description...SPOT ON!

When you're making this kit you're going to be thinking this is the lightest brew you've ever made.

It turns out GREAT!

I did run the grain through a mill because they swore that they run it through a mill but it looked like whole grain to me. I don't know, maybe I got a off batch of grains. The taste was a massive homerun.

It WILL become a favorite for almost everyone of your friends.

BREW ON!:mug:

I got my kits on Saturday.

The grains in my last kit were not crushed. They didn't look ANYTHING like the kit I have now.

In this one you can actually see broken husks and dust.

The other one was solid grain.

I'll still order from them as they do make great kits.

Let us know how this turned out for you after you're through.:mug:

yea...my grains always seem to be mostly whole still from NB. Not even remotely drushed usually.

We brewed up the Patersbier a couple weeks ago. the wort tasted great. should be bottling soon...

yea...my grains always seem to be mostly whole still from NB. Not even remotely drushed usually.

We brewed up the Patersbier a couple weeks ago. the wort tasted great. should be bottling soon...

Did you crush yours or brew it like it was sent to you?

I went with my gut and ran them through a hand mill one time.

yea i kind of eyeball crush them a second time.

there is a definite difference between NB's crushed vs. whole grains, but the crushed ones are really not crushed ENOUGH.

mountainbeers, how long do you plan to primary?

The reason I ask is because I just brewed this as well (10/03/09), and was wondering how long you plan on letting it sit. I heard the WY3787 takes a while to settle down

mountainbeers, how long do you plan to primary?

The reason I ask is because I just brewed this as well (10/03/09), and was wondering how long you plan on letting it sit. I heard the WY3787 takes a while to settle down

I went 3 weeks with no secondary.

I did rack it into a bottling bucket making sure not to drain off the bottom. Let it settle if you move it when you rack it.

Then 2 weeks in bottle and I was drinking it up!

I wanted to brew this past weekend but couldn't too much going on at work, family...this weekend for sure as I drank my last Patersbier...damn, I miss it already.:cross:

awesome thanks for the info. I looked at it yesterday and it still had a pretty thick krausen on it after 8 days, did you experience the same thing?

Yeah, it was a bubbling fool for almost 2 weeks!

It was by far the most explosive beer that I've made.

I wrote down the ingredient list and will be playing with this one for a LONG time.

I'm getting thirsty for one just thinking about it.

Strong rumor...I'm not one to gossip...BUT, this beer served very cold...is SLAMMABLE!

ok cool!

Yeah, I've been looking forward to this beer for a while now and can't wait to try some!!

I actually did the all grain version and it was the first beer I have ever brewed that everything (knock on wood) went as planned during brew day, so i'm stoked!:ban:

Did any of you who made this before repitch any yeast at bottling?

I'm getting a lot of conflicting info on whether or not I should.

Thanks

I let it sit in primary for 2 weeks. I'm going to secondary 2 weeks and then bottle 2-3 weeks.

I don't think I'm going to repitch yeast.

Did any of you who made this before repitch any yeast at bottling?

I'm getting a lot of conflicting info on whether or not I should.

Thanks

I didn't.

At bottling what I did with the 1st kit is follow the suggestion that if I wanted this like it's commercial brother to add 2 oz of table sugar to the priming sugar boil. I did that, but thought it was too foamy at the pour.

With this run, I'll just add one.

I brewed one up yesterday.

I don't know what it is, but when I'm steeping the grains it just doesn't look like it's going to be beer. I had it break 3 times on me the 1st time and this time I regulated the temps a bit more and only had one healthy break after adding the pilsen. Once it's boiling and the 2nd hop bag goes in...then it looks more like beer. I've brewed Irish Red, a Trois Pistoles clone, a couple of hefes and they were dark as night.

I have a couple of kegs that I'm going to make into keggles so I can start brewing bigger batches. This is one that I will always like to have around. It's just a good tasting beer.

I loved this kit. I used the yeast cake for my Tripel, which worked great, until we had a heat spike. I also bottled a couple with the dregs I had been saving from my Orval problem. Don't know how the taste, yet......

I have brewed this kit twice now and every single one of the beers I produced from it was amazing! the finishing out flavor is insane, totally a sour apple sweet ripe pear mending. bottled or kegged- its good either way( I didn't add the table sugar to the priming solution, I will this next go around). I am ordering two more kits of this because of the demand I have from friends and family is crazy. now I can see why the monks dont like to let this stuff out, they wouldn't ever get to drink any of it.

I'm wondering if this would work with Safbrew T-58, or if the flavor really is dependent on the Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity? I want to try something like this, but I don't have 3787, and I do have a cake of T-58 in the house. T-58 definitely gives some spicy phenolics, and the original beer sounds delicious.

Anyone tried the substitution?

I'm wondering if this would work with Safbrew T-58, or if the flavor really is dependent on the Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity? I want to try something like this, but I don't have 3787, and I do have a cake of T-58 in the house. T-58 definitely gives some spicy phenolics, and the original beer sounds delicious.

Anyone tried the substitution?

No, but what harm is there in trying it?

Did anyone use pellets for this recipe or did you guys all use whole hops? I just checked out their promash link and they show leaf hops as their addition.

If you did use pellets, did you reduce your hop additions?

No, but what harm is there in trying it?

Well, it's funny you should say that. I went ahead and made this beer on Sunday. I had ordered and pre-paid for the Wyeast Trappist High Gravity yeast from my LHBS (they have a website), as well as the grains to be pre-crushed.

When I picked up my order on Saturday, I was informed that they actually didn't have the yeast in stock, and it was going to be Wednesday (tomorrow) before it was going to arrive. Of course, with the holiday upon us, I wasn't going to be able to brew on Wednesday, and the grains were already crushed, so I was faced with the only option to pitch onto the Safbrew T-58 yeast cake.

Well, here it is Tuesday, and the Safbrew is bubbling away like an old-school chemlab. I don't know exactly how similar to the original recipe this will taste, but I will certainly be able to find out, since I will now have two batches in the pipeline of the same grainbill, the only difference being the yeast.

Side-by-side yeast comparisons For The Win!

Well, it's funny you should say that. I went ahead and made this beer on Sunday. I had ordered and pre-paid for the Wyeast Trappist High Gravity yeast from my LHBS (they have a website), as well as the grains to be pre-crushed.

When I picked up my order on Saturday, I was informed that they actually didn't have the yeast in stock, and it was going to be Wednesday (tomorrow) before it was going to arrive. Of course, with the holiday upon us, I wasn't going to be able to brew on Wednesday, and the grains were already crushed, so I was faced with the only option to pitch onto the Safbrew T-58 yeast cake.

Well, here it is Tuesday, and the Safbrew is bubbling away like an old-school chemlab. I don't know exactly how similar to the original recipe this will taste, but I will certainly be able to find out, since I will now have two batches in the pipeline of the same grainbill, the only difference being the yeast.

Side-by-side yeast comparisons For The Win!

I've brewed a beer with t58 and I've brewed patersbier with the trappist high gravity...I'm interested in your results!

Wow, I think I have my new "go to" session beer! I did an extract Patersbier last month that I just tapped and I'm loving it. Not very complex but just enough Belgian esters to make what would otherwise be a bland light ale interesting. On the first sip it was kinda like "OK, that's not bad" but halfway through I was already thinking about getting another. Extremely drinkable and I ended up having 3 on a work night which is out of character for me... The wife was equally happy with it and happy that she could drink a full one without falling asleep 10 minutes later, LOL (most of my beers are bit "bigger".) I have been wondering what it might be like with a small coriander or other spice addition though... This one was primaried for 4 weeks and kegged this past weekend.

I just brewed this about two weeks ago. Looking forward to it even more after all of these ringing endorsements :mug:

One mine, I was only able to get an OG of 1042 instead of the 1047. Any idea why? I'm not too worried, it's bubbling really well (even after 1.5 weeks) and has a pretty thick head on it.

Ki-ri-n, I noticed that the volume for the official recipe is 5 gallons, which is less than usual (I usually plan on boiling 7+ gallons to get 5.5 in the fermenter).

Did you perhaps brew more like 5.5 or 6 gallons, which would decrease your SG?

Mine has been in the Primary for just over a week now, and I am wondering what y'all got for your FG. I had an OG of 1.049 (I know, a bit high), and right now it's at 1.018, which I think it high, my software tells me to expect 1.013 (1.011-1.014), so I just wonder what it should be if I had used the specified Wyeast Trappist High Gravity yeast.

This is a beer that I can't wait to try in the glass. The taste of the hydro sample was delicious. I had a Duvel over the weekend, and I saw a definite similarity with this Patersbier (obviously the Patersbier is about half of the alcohol of the Duvel). When it's carbonated and cold, I can see how this is certainly in the same family. The T-58 yeast did not disappoint in regards to flavor, I just have this question about attenuation.

Has anyone experimented with racking it to a keg and letting it lager for three or four weeks? Because it sounds like folks have just kegged/bottled and are drinking it as soon as they can?

Has anyone experimented with racking it to a keg and letting it lager for three or four weeks? Because it sounds like folks have just kegged/bottled and are drinking it as soon as they can?

No lagering here but mine have been bottled for 5 weeks now and it definitely improves with time a lot. If you can stand it let it sit as long as possible.

Mine was kegged for 4 weeks before it finished and the only noticeable difference for me was clarity. I primaried for a month, no secondary, then force carbed. YMMV.

Back