Alt Bier?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
I just ordered an Alt kit from AHS (extract and specialty grain). It comes with ale yeast, but I ordered a pack of lager yeast, too.

What I am thinking of doing is to use the ale yeast at primary, at about 68*, for a couple of weeks.

Then, transfer to secondary with the lager yeast, at about 50* for a couple of weeks, then into the kegerator for a couple of weeks at 38*.

At that point, it will go into the keg, either to drink, or more lagering.

I wonder if I should add the priming sugar (I force carb) to the secondary, to give the lager yeast something to munch on?

I have been reading (always a dangerous thing). The "alt yeast" the Germans developed was cold conditioned ale yeast. The yeast developed a resistance to cold, but was still top fermenting.

I am trying to emulate that by using ale and lager yeast.

I have brewed several alts. Just ferment with the ale yeast (what strain?) - when the fermentation is complete, cold condition (lager) the beer as long as you can stand it. I have gone a couple of months. Then bottle or keg and you are good to go. No need to add a lager yeast.

You really need to use Alt yeast. Wyeast 1007 German Ale is good. I know Whitelabs makes one, but I dont know it off the top of my head.

Ferment at 60*F until finished, then bring down to lagering temps for a month or two. Longer if you want clear beer, since Alt yeast is a low floccuating strain.

I have been reading (always a dangerous thing). The "alt yeast" the Germans developed was cold conditioned ale yeast. The yeast developed a resistance to cold, but was still top fermenting.

I am trying to emulate that by using ale and lager yeast.

I don't think you'd accomplish much by adding lager yeast to an already fermented beer at secondary. Ale yeast are pretty thorough about using up all the food, oxygen and nutrients in a beer and contributing to the flavor. Ale yeast typically add more flavor to a beer than a lager yeast. So, really adding a lager yeast wouldn't add any notable qualities to the beer.

I am making an alt(hopefully this wknd) and I'll be using whitelabs 011 European ale yeast. Here's their info
WLP011 European Ale Yeast
Malty, Northern European-origin ale yeast. Low ester production, giving a clean profile. Little to no sulfur production. Low attenuation helps to contribute to the malty character. Good for Alt, Kolsch, malty English ales, and fruit beers.
Attenuation: 65-70%
Flocculation: Medium
Ideal Fermentation Temperature Range: 65-70°F
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium

Back