Fermcap Foam Controller - finished beer head retention

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boerderij_Kabouter

Reaction score
So I have heard a good number of raves about the Fermcap Foam Control drops, but am still skeptical. Does ANYONE have anything bad to say about this stuff. I am always wary of anything to "new age" sneaking into my brewery and screwing up a batch.

Do your finished beers retain the same or better head than before you used the Fermcap?

How long do you secondary to ensure all that stuff have precipitated out and been removed from your beer?

Thanks, if all the raves are true, Fermcap will be gaining another customer!:drunk:

I have used it a number of times and never noticed any issues with head retention. I normally don't secondary, just keg, and I've never treated the beers with fermcap any differently and they seem to come out just fine.

The stuff is an absolute MIRACLE for stopping boilovers - like boiling in a 30qt turkey fryer pot with no more than about 2" of headspace, without any stirring, spraying, or frantic lowering of the heat - or boiling a starter vigorously right in the flask. It's also a great help during fermentation - like fermenting about 6 gallons in a 6.5g carboy, with 1.070ish wort and a vigorous yeast, and not even needing a blowoff tube.

+1

I use it on my starters, boil kettle & primarys, I rarely secondary anymore.
No head problems here either.

Nothing bad to say here. I've used it since my second batch, and it's always been good to me. Since I've used it in nearly every batch, I cannot say whether it has affected my head retention, but believe me that I have no problems with head retention. It is excellent stuff, and I just cannot understand why it hasn't caught on more.

No, I don't treat my batches any differently. The stuff just settles out. In fact, you may find that you have to stir it into your wort a bit when you add it to the kettle. When you add it to the primary, add it before the wort to make sure it gets stirred up in there (and to avoid foaming in your primary).

TL

Boerderij Kabouter said:
Do you add this stuff to both the boil and the primary?

Or just the boil? Or just the Primary?

x2

also, since it sounds like boilovers aren't likely with this stuff, would it allow you to do a full 5gallon boil in a 5gallon brew kettle?

Boerderij Kabouter said:
Do you add this stuff to both the boil and the primary?

Or just the boil? Or just the Primary?

Whichever you like. For many years, I only added it to the primary. Recently, I started adding it to the kettle. I think you need to do a separate addition for each, though, but I am not sure. I am happy to play it safely, though.

I don't know if you could do a full five gallon boil in a five gallon pot, as I expect some splashing over the rim. You could probably get away with a 4.5 gallon boil, though. Certainly, you could start a six or 6.5 gallon boil in a 7.5 gallon kettle with little concern.

I also have not noticed any difference in hot break.

TL

Silicone oil emulsion or something like that.

In batches where I'm not at all worried about blowoff in the fermenter (like a low-gravity ale that's only 5 gallons in a 6.5g carboy, fermented in a cool room) I just use it in the boil for preventing boilovers, and then it develops normal, fluffy krausen in primary exactly like it would with no foam control added at all - its effect doesn't seem to really carry over from boil to fermenter, so if you want its effect in both you need to add it both places.

It's not going to allow you to do a full boil for a 5 gallon batch with a 5-gallon pot... a 5-gallon batch is going to be more like 6 gallons pre-boil. But you can REALLY push your limits with a 30qt (7.5gal) pot.

Thanks! That Brewers Supply website is great. They have a lot of other things we all use as well, like yeast nutrient. This is the kind of solid "proof" I was looking for. Thanks everyone! I will spread the word and see if I can talk my LHBS into carrying it.

I've been using an anti-foam agent when preparing yeast starters in my erlenmeyer flask for the past five or six batches. Its fantastic. I have not noticed any problems with head retention since using it.

Back