Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could you explain your process? The batch I made last week has clear separation and several inches of liquid on the bottom. I use a gallon container which is filled then left alone for 3 or 4 weeks.

Steamed the rice, cooled, mixed it yeast, jarred. I think I may have used a bit more water in the rice cooker for the second batch.

I don't know, by comparison I made this Tuesday. What size container are you using?

IMG_3015.jpg

Large vlassic pickle jar the batch on the right has a ton or liquid and smells verry boozy the small baych of mine is cloudy and smells a little boozy

1st batch 4/18 where the metal ruler is a ton of fluid mixed with little rice. If I spin the bottle the rice floats and spins. Above it is fluid mixed in with dense rice cake but bubbles jar is 80oz

1399857869267.jpg

What type of rice, what water to rice ratio, how long fermenting at what temp?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I brew because I must.

I used tai Jasmine, and steamed it. The fermentation was four weeks, at around 21 Celsius

How is everybody else straining out the rice wine from the solids? I've been using a paint strainer bag, hanging it for awhile then squeezing the heck out of it. Tons of work, though, so if anybody has a short cut I'd like to hear it.
On another note, I'm finding that Thai jasmine rice seems to yield a pineapple fruity flavor, while Japanese sweet rice- Mochi Gome yields less fruity, drier/'ricier' tasting wine. Also, Vietnamese yeast tablets seemed to produce higher alcohol- a more boozy tasting wine with less sweetness than the Chinese yeast balls did.

How is everybody else straining out the rice wine from the solids? I've been using a paint strainer bag, hanging it for awhile then squeezing the heck out of it. Tons of work, though, so if anybody has a short cut I'd like to hear it.

I was thinking about that the other day when I was harvesting my rice wine. I got to thinking that maybe a small wine press, lined with a paint strainer bag (or cheese cloth) would be a wonderful improvement. :)

Gonna start my 3rd batch after my 1 gallon jug gets here. Gonna use an airlock this time. How many cups of dry rice would one suggest for a one gallon jug using an airlock?

What temps? I am finding as my house warms up, my rice wine ferments way more dry. Right now, its about 80 degrees average.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I brew because I must.

What temps? I am finding as my house warms up, my rice wine ferments way more dry. Right now, its about 80 degrees average.

I brew because I must.

The temp of my guest room closet 70-78

The temp of my guest room closet 70-78

How long? Mine looks good after 9 days in the warmer temps.

I brew because I must.

So I got to thinking about the difficulty of figuring out the alcohol content of our rice wine -- would an automotive hydrometer (used for testing coolant levels) be of any assistance in figuring this out or would it not be any different than a fermentation hydrometer?

So I got to thinking about the difficulty of figuring out the alcohol content of our rice wine -- would an automotive hydrometer (used for testing coolant levels) be of any assistance in figuring this out or would it not be any different than a fermentation hydrometer?

The problem is you don't have an OG reading since you begin with the semi solid rice, not a liquid.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

The problem is you don't have an OG reading since you begin with the semi solid rice, not a liquid.

OK. My thought was we could get a good estimate by testing various known ABVs, but then again, we could do that with a brewing hydrometer, so I guess there's no shortcut there. :) :cross:

Been busy graduating, prepping my house to sell, and getting ready to move. Haven't had a chance to harvest 2 small neglected batches sitting in the brew closet. Going to do it today.... 10 weeks after I started them. We shall see if they are any good or if the milks gone bad!

Been busy graduating, prepping my house to sell, and getting ready to move. Haven't had a chance to harvest 2 small neglected batches sitting in the brew closet. Going to do it today.... 10 weeks after I started them. We shall see if they are any good or if the milks gone bad!

10 weeks!!!

Daaaayyyyuuuuummmm.

I can't wait to hear about the results.

Brewed 5 lbs rice. This is my result. Will wait 4 weeks and try it for taste.

Drank a glass at the time of bottling, nice flavor.

Sakesmith

20140516_155828.jpg

How long? Mine looks good after 9 days in the warmer temps.

I brew because I must.

4-5 weeks. Longer prevents continued fermentation in the bottles and having to relieve the pressure to avoid bottle bombs.

Man, mine at 19 days was real dry, leading me to think that there was little fermentable sugar left. Must have been the higher fermenting temps. I have an evap system I use for fermenting carboys, maybe I will cool the next gallon of wine.

I brew because I must.

My latest batch from 7 cups sweet rice cooked with 11 cups water 6 yeast balls added after rice cooled. I have a friend would like to scale up to 5 gal bucket. I am thinking brew in a bag in the bucket and maybe use a press to squeeze all the goodness out of the bag after a month. Any thoughts?.ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400290354.623846.jpg

So here is the verdict on the 10 week batch. It is definitely drier and packs a more "vibrant" flavor. There is a hint of acetic to it but it isn't bad. Kicks like a mule and doesn't go down quite as smooth as a younger, sweeter rice wine.

Its still very good though.

So I had a batch that went closer to 12 weeks. And while I can conform that it's drier and not as smooth, I'm slightly concerned with the little "floaties" on the top. They are white and not that fuzzy looking. If I shake up the jug they do seem to settle into the liquid but eventually float back up to the top. Just hoping they aren't bad germies trying to ruin my batch..
I'll try to get a picture for you guys to check out.

I am using two yeast balls per gallon of steamed rice. Summa you guys are running triple that. Mine always shows liquid by day two so the yeast is not weak. YMMV.

I brew because I must.

So I just bottled my red cargo rice wine. 9 22oz bottles worth. Obviously unless I want to die I cant drink this all in a short period of time, so advice on proper storage so it keeps would be appreciated.

God Dang that was a lot of work. And a lot of wine.

Bottling for me is dumping it in mason jars.

I brew because I must.

Strained a batch at 13 days, fermented at between 75 and 82. More sweet but still plenty wine. I will do batches now at under two weeks with only two yeast balls per gallon of steamed rice.

I brew because I must.

Back