What kind of mold or spore is this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wulfman

Reaction score
I was just ready to bottle my irish stout from secondary and seen this. I skimmed the spore off and bottled any ways. It also tasted marvelous!! I was just wondering if anyone has seen this.

ForumRunner_20111218_214429.jpg

Nice snowy white, just slightly fuzzy mold on food products is often penicillium. I'm no expert though, I don't even know if it can make floating colonies.

One of my first few beers had a similar thing grow on it however I did not even see them until I was bottling one went into a bottle.... The brew tasted so go I kept drinking them and finally found the one that went into the bottle.

I used the justification that there is nothing deadly can survive in beer.... don't know if it was right but I drank all the bottles and even the one that I found the mold in (after I skimmed it off)

Clem

My question is is mold always fuzzy or green?.Because i had a thin white paint like flakey film on a few of mine, I tried to skim them but it was near impossible and was wondering if those could be from mold spores as well, i bottled mine but couldnt get all of it out and alot of them are in the bottle just on top. Ive had them months and havent gotten any gushing, although i notice when i open the bottles the thin somewhat white translucent layer some look like a clear transpernt gell like film on the surface of the bottles, seems to foam up and dissapear.Im a bit afraid of drinking mold really.Not shure if its lacto.

After you let the bottles sit warm for about 2 or 3 weeks to carbonate, move them all to the fridge. The cold will hopefully stop whatever that is from growing too quickly.... Cheers!

The mold is all white and fuzzy. Thanks. I also heard I can put the beers in the fridge to stop or slow the growth. Thanks again for the info

Yeah with mold all you gotta do is skim it or pull it out,kinda like with cheese sometimes,only the good parts are left.
I had a white flakey paint like film on a few of mine and i had some mold around my airlock with some wooden lids i use to have, it was a powdery green mold, i thought maybe mine was from mold spores or something but mine wasnt fuzzy. Looked like a thin layer of spackle on the surface of the beer.

jonmohno said:
My question is is mold always fuzzy or green?.Because i had a thin white paint like flakey film on a few of mine, I tried to skim them but it was near impossible and was wondering if those could be from mold spores as well, i bottled mine but couldnt get all of it out and alot of them are in the bottle just on top. Ive had them months and havent gotten any gushing, although i notice when i open the bottles the thin somewhat white translucent layer some look like a clear transpernt gell like film on the surface of the bottles, seems to foam up and dissapear.Im a bit afraid of drinking mold really.Not shure if its lacto.

That was probably a pelical (sp?), those are usually formed by some sort of bacteria.

Update! Been a while, but every beer turned out great! No problems at all. Thanks for the info

I think i got the filmy stuff from s-33 and t-58 yeast which probably invaded my wooden lids i had at the time. And infected my s-23 yeast also. Ive read and someone had aknowledged and remined me of the fact that there is a certain percentage of lacto in those yeasts. Ive not had any problem with those bottles where this has happend and ive had them quite a while. I have not dumped any of them and had nothing negative from them.In fact the film i had in some of the bottles disappeard after some conditiong time.
Glad to hear,and glad you didnt dump.

Back