Racking w/ Fruit in carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chriscam

Reaction score
Added about 5# mashed peaches to 2ndry of an ipa/wheat. When i went to keg, i had a lot of trouble with the peaches clogging my racking can/auto-siphon. i rubber banded a hop bag around the end of my racking cane, but still had clogging issues (not getting into the can but clogging on outside of hop bag.
Two things i would do different next time:
1. Wait a little longer for the peaches to settle after moving my carboy to where i'm transferring.
2. Use a hop bag for the peaches in the 2ndry (might be a little hard getting them in but should be able to make it work).

Other suggestion on how to siphon w/ fruit? (or where i went wrong)

I have found that the hopbag works better on the bucket side of the transfer. Also, since the fruit floats and yeast sinks I hold the racking cane in the middle as much as possible. Any fruit that makes it through the siphon will be caught by the bag at the end. Just make sure your bag is big enough that you can reach the bottom of the carboy without splashing and keep the top of the bag out of the carboy. Hope this helps.

Back