Floor drain or no floor drain for walk-ins?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randar

Half rib short of a full rack
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am in the planning stages and I am curious how those who have built or worked on walk-ins would opine about a floor drain? I realize it is a lot of extra work for me since I will need to tear out some basement floor to run a drain line, so for those with some experience, is it worth the time and effort to do this or is it sufficient to have an easily cleanable surface and simply stick to a mop and dry method of cleaning up?

Only want to do this once, but my inclination is that a floor drain is a nice-to-have and not a necessity. Fire away.

Every commercial walk-in I've used has a floor drain to hose them out. I've only used them in commercial kitchens, so that'll be a little different than one designed for beer, as I'm assuming yours would be. But it would still be pretty nice to have when you spill beer/wort and have a sticky mess to clean up.

well, I was trying to avoid making that much of a mess as I am going to do this project before I finish the rest of the basement. I wonder if I can run the drain pipe in a cut-out of the insulation and leave it exposed at grade level to tie into at a later date? hmmmm.

Back