Another Gelatin ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamby

Reaction score
Do you have to cold crash after adding the gelatin to the secondary? I don't have anyway to cool the carboy. Sorry if this has been asked before.
Thanks

Technically, you never *have* to cold crash at all. If you want clear beer, you can, but it is not essential.

My experience with gelatin is limited. As I understand it, though, if you use enough and you do it properly, that's all the clearing most beers are ever going to need.

I'm not sure, though, so you should seek further opinions.

I really don't mess with gelatin that is more for kegging. I just throw in a whirfloc tablet and it gets the job done. Totally clear no, but clear enough.

I have done it both ways ( with wine) and either way worked. Heck I sprinkled it on top of the wine once before I knew better and guess what.... it worked.

I'm a freak about clear beer! I've even gone so far to invest in filtering equipment. But what works the best for me is a tablet of whirlfloc, siphoning out of the kettle leaving 95% of the hop material at the bottom, and cold conditioning for 1-2 weeks. Whammo....clear beer!

I'm a freak about clear beer! I've even gone so far to invest in filtering equipment. But what works the best for me is a tablet of whirlfloc, siphoning out of the kettle leaving 95% of the hop material at the bottom, and cold conditioning for 1-2 weeks. Whammo....clear beer!

Can you use the whirfloc for canned extracts(coopers-Muntons) or would it be hurtful to the beer?When would you add it? I don't boil my canned malt, just mix it with boiling water in primary.

Latest posts

Back