Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trainhound

Reaction score
Hi my friend makes wine and he gave me some wlp730 liquid wine yeast to use to make mead he says a friend of is uses it for mead. So what do you think, can I use this?

Sure, that's a strain commonly used for chardonnay wines, and it will work well with most traditional mead recipes. However, make sure that it has been stored properly and it hasn't passed its expiration date. Liquid cultures are somewhat fragile, which is one reason that I've been working only with active dry yeast for some years now.

Yeah what wayneb says. It sounds like it's a good yeast for mead. What are you planning on making?

I like to look for the wine yeasts that have the reputation of "enhancing varietal characteristics" and would promote the same qualities of the honey I'm using. For example, if I'm using a fruity honey like orange blossom or wildflower, I'd want a yeast that enhances those fruit characteristics.

My point is to make a mead that suits the yeast you have. WLP730 looks like it'd be good for a traditional mead made with a floral or fruity honey, or a pyment made with blush or white grapes/juice/concentrate. Have fun! :)

I think I used that yeast once in a mead with orange blossom honey, and it worked pretty well. It took it dry, so I stabilized and backsweetened.

Yeah, if you want it medium-sweet, be sure to save some of your honey for backsweetening (after sorbating) since that yeast will likely take the mead pretty dry. :)

Back