Aromatic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
Would it be ok and fit the style of a traditional bock to use aromatic malt as 1 of my specialty grains to steep for extract?

But if you're doing extract, and you steep specialty grains for 30 minutes at 155 degrees, aren't you getting more then just taste and color out of the specialty grains? You don't get a great enzyme conversion the way you'd dough in proper water temps in a mash....but you can get the same properties of specialty grains when they're in a grain bill if you steep at mash temps. I'd steep my specialty grains for 30 or more minutes at around 155. Then to get some more extraction, "sparge" by pouring some 165-170 degree water over your grainbag while you pull it out to do your boil.

Aromatic malt seems to be one of those malts that's high kilned, so it still has enzymes that can still do sugar conversion....but from what I've gleened, it can be steeped...even though mashing is prefered (and would get you much better efficiency):

Grains in the BrewPot

Preparing a Franz hefe clone and only have 5 oz Aromatic. Recipe calls for 8 oz. Help with a substitute grain.

Thanks,

Sheldon

Meloidonin is a good substitute. If you are in the dulles/fairfax area this week I can give you some aromatic malt from my stockpile. I picked up three pounds from the disgraceful LHBS in falls church last week and have two pounds left!

Thats a ton for the offer, but I seldom get out that way. I had some Munich and used that. Since is was such a small amount, I doubt the swap will be noticed. Hope it cools a bit so I can brew between friday and sunday.

If you are ever in this area (Potomac Mills aint far), stop by for a brew. I love to share my beers.

Sheldon

Will do! Aromatic malt is POWERFUL. I cannot decribe the smells produced when I ran it through the mill yesterday! So I am a little interested to see waht a pound of it does to my batch haha

Back