G_r_o_s_s.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beermaker

The NAVY WALRUS
Reaction score
Well, I just got another freezer to turn into a cooler. My 3 YO decided it would me cool to turn the freezer off, and I just got done cleaning the mess up. I lost a lot of venison, Ducks I shot and was going to get mounted, shrimp etc. I dont know how long it was off, I just started to notice a funky smell. So I cracked it and reached in and felt the warm air. Then the smell struck me. Bad thing is, the laundry room is right across the hall from the AC return air duct. Yep, you guessed it, the air was sucked in and distributed evenly throughout the house. Its about done now, but my wife said she likes the room in the laundry room with the freezer gone, so out in the garage it goes. More keg storage room. WOOHOO...the best of a bad situation.:rockin:

Bummer. I lost an entire deer's worth of venison once, but it was my fault, not the kids'. More beer room is good, tho.

I hate it when some critter kills a deer in the yard and leaves a half eaten carcass for later. Blasted greyhounds have to check it out every day, every walk. And the turkey vultures have disgusting habits.

I lost a fridge full once when I was in the West Indies. The whole base lost power for three days. One of the local greasy monkeys put fuel oil in the crankcase of a diesel generator. Fried that one, caught a second one on fire and the emergency unit couldn't handle anything except the signal station and the commisary.

SwAMi75 said:
Just imagining what that must have smelled like is making me ill.
I don't have to imagine. I once had about 70 pounds of meat sit for probably several days in a freezer that came unplugged without my knowledge. When I opened that sucker up I threw up into it due to the horrible, awful smell.

I ended up having to throw the freezer away. NOTHING would get rid of the smell that soaked into the platic lining of the inside. Nothing.

bikebryan said:
I don't have to imagine. I once had about 70 pounds of meat sit for probably several days in a freezer that came unplugged without my knowledge. When I opened that sucker up I threw up into it due to the horrible, awful smell.

I ended up having to throw the freezer away. NOTHING would get rid of the smell that soaked into the platic lining of the inside. Nothing.

LOL.....my roomate left a crockpot full of chili in a friend's shop.It sat there for about 2 weeks before they discovered it. He brought it home, and of course it was too disgusting to try to clean. On his way to the garbage, the neighbor kid wanted to know why he was chunking it, so my roomate said he'd give him $10 to stick his head in and take a whiff. The kid earned his $10, and hurled. :D

In college I left a half full gallon jug of milk on the porch for a few weeks in the summer, just to see what would happen. It ate through the plastic in the bottom of the jug. :)

note to self . . . get that sprig to the taxidermist, eat the rest of the homemade venison sausages, make some meatloaf with the venison burger, make some more duck kabobs, find a recipe for the buffalo.

I'd hate to lose my game freezer!

The Cazador

Back