What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Edwardo

image-2809478455.jpg

Been working since 8 a.m. non-stop. Time for a floccing break.

image-1267813002.jpg

Wel,broke,no beer,out of smokes. but got to taste the hydrometer sample of my PM Traditional Stout. Might be ready for bourbon soaked oak in a couple days?!...:ban:

NIZZLE said:
HB coffee watching stephen king IT!!

Haha this movie gave me nightmares as a kid. I finally watched it again last year with SWMBO because she never saw it. Watching it again ruined a childhood memory for me forever. :drunk:

Beep Beep! Nizzie!

Brand spanking new to this forum (forums in general). Can anyone point me to an answer or discussion on grain and wort? Milled grain... Grain bag, or dump it in to boil? Friend gave me a kit with 11 lbs of grain, and don't have a boil sack big enough... Use 3 bags or dump in for a 5 gallon wort boil?

Brand spanking new to this forum (forums in general). Can anyone point me to an answer or discussion on grain and wort? Milled grain... Grain bag, or dump it in to boil? Friend gave me a kit with 11 lbs of grain, and don't have a boil sack big enough... Use 3 bags or dump in for a 5 gallon wort boil?

I'll bite. What are the exact contents of the kit? 11lbs sounds like a small all grain batch, or a partial mash kit. If that's the case you're going to have a bit more work to do.

You try cold crashing it? Its the only way dryhopping loose pellots doesnt suck for me.

Well since I just added the hops last night, probably a little soon to cold crash. I was complaining about the nucleation issues and that I should have used a 6 gallon for 5 gallons of beer and 3 oz of hops.

Channel66 said:
I'll bite. What are the exact contents of the kit? 11lbs sounds like a small all grain batch, or a partial mash kit. If that's the case you're going to have a bit more work to do.

First off, thanks for replying. If you're brewing, hit me later... Or have another!
Kit from a supply house in MT, gift from friend
Brew is called Chocolate Rye Brown Porter
Anticipated OG, 1.055
Anticipated IBU, 34.1

Grain, milled
.25 lbs roasted barley
8 lbs pale malt, 2 row
.75 lbs chocolate rye malt
1 lbs cara-pils dextrine malt
1 lbs crystal 40L

Hops
.5 oz magnum
.5 oz go dings EK

Yeast
Windsor Ale, dry, but in room temp (now 72F, down from 90F) water since last night

I'm up to try, but feel it may be a learning experience. Brewing hobby for 5 years, but only a batch here and there (maybe my 20th?). Advice? Or should I quit being a baby and brew some damned beer?

Thanks

First off, thanks for replying. If you're brewing, hit me later... Or have another!
Kit from a supply house in MT, gift from friend
Brew is called Chocolate Rye Brown Porter
Anticipated OG, 1.055
Anticipated IBU, 34.1

Grain, milled
.25 lbs roasted barley
8 lbs pale malt, 2 row
.75 lbs chocolate rye malt
1 lbs cara-pils dextrine malt
1 lbs crystal 40L

Hops
.5 oz magnum
.5 oz go dings EK

Yeast
Windsor Ale, dry, but in room temp (now 72F, down from 90F) water since last night

I'm up to try, but feel it may be a learning experience. Brewing hobby for 5 years, but only a batch here and there (maybe my 20th?). Advice? Or should I quit being a baby and brew some damned beer?

Thanks

Alright, you've got an all grain batch there, you will need to do some sort of mash to convert the starches in the grains to a usable wort. This means you take the crushed grains, add hot water bringing the temperature to around 154 degrees, and holding the temperature there for about an hour.

The problem is the grain MUST be removed before you boil, in your case I suggest stopping by a hardware store and purchasing a 2 dollar paint strainer bag. And then researching BIAB (brew in a bag) methods of doing all grain. I'd gladly walk you through the process but it's probably easier just to read through this here.
http://www.brewersfriend.com/2009/06/20/brew-in-a-bag-biab-all-grain-brewing-method/

NIZZLE said:
I like stephen king movies.

I like and love reading his books and watching King movies. Shawshank redemption is my #1 favorite movie.

I was just saying that with IT by watching it again as an adult it took away my memory of it being the scariest movie for me growing up.

Takings brief break from yardwork to get the turkey in the oven. Perfect time to drink my neighbor's Helles. He did a great job on this one.

image-2755514317.jpg

It's a good thing when your next door neighbor is also a home brewer! :mug:

Channel66:
You are a brew god! Thanks for the encouragement and link. I'll need a MUCH bigger bag than I've used in the past, and the paint strainer? You must be like me, if the tool works, use it!
Thanks again, the link was exactly what I needed.

Cheers!

Windswept Brewing co. Wolf.

ForumRunner_20131026_203416.png

Dark scotch ale, extremely good example of the style too.

It uses speyside water, it's from the heart of whisky country!

Channel66:
You are a brew god! Thanks for the encouragement and link. I'll need a MUCH bigger bag than I've used in the past, and the paint strainer? You must be like me, if the tool works, use it!
Thanks again, the link was exactly what I needed.

Cheers!

I can't claim to have been the first person to use a paint strainer bag for BIAB. But I have done it, and it works well. Enjoy! Don't be afraid to read around on here there is a massive wealth of knowledge.

I came home from the lab today, to the wife standing on the deck over my MLT with a smile on her face she says "this one's called ' 'bout to pop tripel' it's a tripel because there's 3 of us now. "

The dr never said she couldn't brew beer 8 months prego.

Drinking a hb tripel to honor my crazy wife.

It's cold. But I'm sitting on the deck enjoying this beauty. Phenomenal beer.

image-2264718081.jpg

Rocky Head Pale Ale.

ForumRunner_20131026_220157.jpg

Solid IPA.

Also had a wee sample of my goldings IPA which had pretty massive issues putting into cask (hops kept clogging the siphon), it's tasting pretty good despite being only 10 days cask conditioning.

sweed said:
Heady! Oh my gosh, best ipa I've had. It has exceeded my expectations. So freakin good!
I'm glad you like. Careful you'll want more. Stuff is addicting! I think I may have one right now!

Well, went for a long walk with the pooch. Bottled my apfelwein and drank some along the way. :D Made chili but it is runny, I hope it thickens up but chances are it will not. :mad: I've never mad chili on my own before.

I racked the apfelwein over 32 oz of apple juice and 10 oz of dextrose. Will carb a bit in bottles and pasteurize. I'm tired. :( Good thing no one wants to hang out tonight, I may actually have to get pretty and get out of my hanging out shorts. :D
IMG_5622.JPG

Rogue Juniper Pale ale. Looking for inspiration for my wife's grandpa's christmas present. He's a beefeater Gin kinda guy so I'm looking for a good way to incorporate that into his brew.

Back