Inexpensive Raisins

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jevchance

Reaction score
I'm using raisins in some of my wine recipes that require some body. Raisins are a part of many of the recipes I follow in the book Mary's Recipes.

I have been buying them from the grocery store, but they are sorta expensive that way (about $2.50 a pound). Anyone found a good source for inexpensive bulk raisins?

The great value ones from Wal-Mart are what I've found to be the cheapest. I wouldn't imagine you'll find any cheaper online unless you're buying in bulk.

Wash golden raisins before you use them.

When I went to buy golden raisins to use with a wine recipe I noticed that all the golden raisins had sulfer dioxide as an ingredient (which is used to keep the raisins golden). I bought and then washed a pound of Trader Joe's gold raisins and then a pound of Sunmaid raisins. The Trader Joe's raisins turned the water in the sink a nasty cloudy gray color (and took 3 soakings to get clean), while very little washed off of the Sunmaid raisins. It may not be harmful, but I have to believe that that much stuff washing off the raisins would have to change the wine flavor in some way.

Just FYI.

Latest posts

Back