Mexican Cerveza

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and is yours very similar to corona? or just a good beer?

what yeast did you use? did you add the 2pounds sugar like those kits say?

The kit and yeast is part of a Coopers kit available in supermarkets in Australia. I add 1 kg of Dextrose to bring the Alcohol to 4.5%. I used to add the Kilo (2lb) of sugar but found that sometimes imparted a slight citrus flavour.

I prime with a measured amount of sugar in the bottle. I generally use the 750ml (Long Necks).

The taste is very simular although I prefered my brew. Maybe it is due to the fact that I have aquired a taste for my homebrew types and it has adusted my pallet.

As I said it is a very nice summer drink. I had one last night after a fairly hot day 32c served a tad over freezing. I guess that affects taste a bit. In winter beer has more flavour as I drink it warmer. I take the beer out of the fridge for a while to warm up.

In conclusion as I said before. I am suprised that the style gets bagged as it too has its place and if there are any Mexicans out there, this is one Aussie who now reckons your beer style is very drinkable, I am glad of the experiance.

In conclusion as I said before. I am suprised that the style gets bagged as it too has its place and if there are any Mexicans out there, this is one Aussie who now reckons your beer style is very drinkable, I am glad of the experiance.

I happen to really like some of the Mexican beers as well, so you are not alone.
And to those who claim that lime in beer is not a "Mexican thing", wrong. Perhaps you just haven't been to parts of Mexico away from the tourist areas.....

I like Mexican beers as well. Favorites are Pacifico and Negra Modelo. I've searched through the forums looking for recipes and am a little disheartened at the lack of information. Anyone got a good Vienna Lager recipe similar to Negra Modelo?

IMHO Pacifico and Modelo are the best; and the best thing if you are a bottler like me, the pacificos are great bottles to re-use.:drunk:

Corona is for those who do not know that Mexicans make good beer. Yuppie-scum

The Lime wedge IN the beer is an American thing..the lime circle on top of the bottle is a Mexican thing...keeps the fly's off of your bottle...

and, I tell you what...nothing beats a 6er of Coronas when your out mowing the back 5 acres...

:off: Flys in Mexico. The same problem as in Australia but the problem is abating due to introduced African "Dung" beetles to cover the sheep and cattle droppings. It is working slowly and unless strong wind force the flys towards the cities there is not much of a problem. Anyway flyscreens and chemical warfare works.

My wife goes off her trolley if a fly gets in the house and its eradication becomes paramount.

Clubs and bars have fly zappers that keep flys controlled if they get in. Most only have draft beer a common type is Carlton Cold usually by stubbie not tap.

Ahh! thought I would share

Hahaha, the corona jokes are endless. Corona though is more of a "mainland" beer, far more popular in Sonora and elsewhere in mainland mexico than on the baja peninsula.......which seems to be owned by Tecate.

Every podunk taco stand down mex 1 from Ensenada to Cabo sells tecate. You can get tecate in cans, bottles, .5 liter cans, 1 liter cans, .5 liter bottles, 1 liter bottles, and in a friggin' bucket if you ask for it. Corona is a rarity, all the clubs have it, and the motels, and most gas stations.

It's easier to buy tecate than water or gatorade in baja. The 2nd most prevalent drink seems to be Monster energy drinks;-)

Here's me and a buddy in a little town in Baja on one of our rides (the red 450X is mine). This corona shop only sold tecate. I should make this pic my avatar.

Baja_March-web-07007.jpg

Me too, I brewed a can of Cooper cerveza. That's roughly 1 year ago and I still have 20 bottles. I brewed using DME instead of sugar. However, nobody likes that kind of beer so I'm stuck drinking it alone... well I kind of boiled the whole thing when I wasn't suppose to... still drinkable, but you have to be drunk first!:D

Heeeeeey, don't you dare saying Corona isn't that good of a beer.
I'm Mexican and I know what I'm talking about........................it's not that good of a beer, it is a piece of crap beer!!!!!

Seriously, i have no idea why Corona is so popular in the US. Here in Mexico it's popular because is the cheapest sh*t you can find. There are better (not great, just better) beers in Mexico besides Corona. I'll take and Indio or XX Ambar anytime!

It's popular because it's advertised, hard. Just like bud, miller, and coors. ****ty beer that has a multi-billion dollar advertising budget.

hi all new here and new to brewing ive just purchased a coopers mexican cerveza kit also a 1kg bag of muntons enhancer as the shop didnt stock coopers enhancer 2 will this do the same? could any 1 help me out here on how to brew it ive also heard that the yeast in the kit isnt no good but heard saflager 23 is the 1 to use is this correct?please could any 1 give me some tips on how to brew this kit thanks regards mick.

hi all new here and new to brewing ive just purchased a coopers mexican cerveza kit also a 1kg bag of muntons enhancer as the shop didnt stock coopers enhancer 2 will this do the same? could any 1 help me out here on how to brew it ive also heard that the yeast in the kit isnt no good but heard saflager 23 is the 1 to use is this correct?please could any 1 give me some tips on how to brew this kit thanks regards mick.

If you don't actually have the ability to maintain proper lagering temperatures for fermentation switching to a lager yeast probably won't make the beer any better.

If you read Terry's posts earlier in the thread I think he was quite pleased with the results by simply following the directions and using the yeast packaged under the cap. If your kit isn't too old (see the best by date on bottom of can) the yeast should be fine. The Coopers Ale yeast is fairly flavor neutral and is the same as that used in their commercial breweries.

Since the actual makeup of the "enhancer" from either company is not public I can't say for sure what perceptible difference if any might arise from using Muntons vs. Coopers. Both are a mixture of dextrose and dry malt with no indication of the proportion of each. I'd just go with what you have.

Personally I think anyone brewing from a kit should follow the directions as closely as possible the first time at least, then based on that initial result decide how you might like to modify the process/ingredients to make the beer distinctly your own. If you make this beer again you might try using just dry malt instead of the enhancer (or just dextrose) if for no other reason than to learn how the beer changes when you substitute ingredients.

Best of luck.

Heeeeeey, don't you dare saying Corona isn't that good of a beer.
I'm Mexican and I know what I'm talking about........................it's not that good of a beer, it is a piece of crap beer!!!!!

Seriously, i have no idea why Corona is so popular in the US. Here in Mexico it's popular because is the cheapest sh*t you can find. There are better (not great, just better) beers in Mexico besides Corona. I'll take and Indio or XX Ambar anytime!

Yes. And para mi, if I want a lighter Mexican beer I'll drink Pacifico, and I like Negra Modelo for dark.

Latest posts

Back