Insulating foam for MLT coolers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lenny2884

Reaction score
I've heard of people using insulating foam to help insulate their MLT coolers better and was wondering if was worth the effort. I've only done 2 mashes with converted cooler and lost an average of 6 degrees during a 90 min mash. The top of the cooler isn't very thick and was thinking about adding some foam to help out. If i did add this should it be covered by something to prevent from harming the mash?

For some coolers, there isn't any insulation in the lid. It's just a hollow shell. You could drill a couple holes in the top of the lid (not all the way through), and squirt some Great Stuff in there, and that may help with insulation.

Or you could use the cheap/lazy method that I used to use and throw an old blanket or jacket over the top of the cooler while mashing.

I agree with lustreking. Why are you mashing 90 min? That is a long mash unless that is called for a particular style.

That was a typo, i meant to say 60 min mash. Both times i used a sleeping bag over the MLT and it still lost 6 degrees. I probably could have bought a better cooler but for $15 on sale I jumped at it. Anybody try the insulating foam??

That was a typo, i meant to say 60 min mash. Both times i used a sleeping bag over the MLT and it still lost 6 degrees. I probably could have bought a better cooler but for $15 on sale I jumped at it. Anybody try the insulating foam??
Are you pre-heating the tun? Losing 6 degrees while using a sleeping bag seems extreme to me.

Yeah, that sounds like an initial heat absorption issue to me. Throw about 4 gallons of 170F water in the cooler and shut the lid. Come back in 5 minutes, stir and remeasure the temp. I bet it's down to about 164F by then.

I heat my strike water to strike +10F for my Rubbermaid MLT and it settles nicely at my strike temp. Then I mash in and start the HERMS.

Keg2- Oktoberfest (On tap)
Keg3- Christmas Spice
Keg4- Fire In The Hole
Keg5- AIR
Keg6- AIR
Keg7- AIR
Keg8- AIR

Beleive it or not i did preheat using 170 degree water. Guess i'll just have to over-compensate with my strike temp. I use a coleman 48qt rectangular cooler.

Or build a HERMS

Recirculating 149.9F for 60 mins!

Keg2- Oktoberfest (On tap)
Keg3- Christmas Spice
Keg4- Fire In The Hole
Keg5- AIR
Keg6- AIR
Keg7- AIR
Keg8- AIR

Do you have any pictures of of ur MLT with the great stuff? If not how did u go about drilling the holes? Right through the top or lengthwise?

I have a coleman 48 qt that i use for 10 gal batches. I preheat the mashtun with 174 degree water, add my 20 lbs of grain, and it usually settles in a little above my 152 degree target. I may lose 1 degree during the 60 min mash, maybe. Good luck.

Reddog, is ur lid hollow? And when you close your lid can you see steam creeping out the sides? I might just cut a hole in the lid and put some foam in to try it, can't hurt right.

Do you have any pictures of of ur MLT with the great stuff? If not how did u go about drilling the holes? Right through the top or lengthwise?

I have a round igloo; there were two holes already in the lid. Then I merely used a punch to make a few additional holes large enough for the Great Stuff application straw to fit.

You could just cut a piece of foam board to fit inside the cooler . After you add the grain just let it float on top of the mash and put the lid on.

Back