simplest AG set up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

defenestrate

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
what i have now-
keggle, 70 qt cooler, 5 gallon kettle, 2 buckets and 1 burner.

now, to do an all grain, i imagine im going to have to buy some more equipment. even if i use my keggle as the HLT and the boil, im going to need a pump to get it between the cooler and the keggle. or, i could pick up another keg, which in that case i would be swapping the burner between the two kegs-and i could do a gravity fed set up. i do ultimately want a single tier system with a pump and three keggles, but im trying to make the transition slowly and would like to use a cooler first. i've spent the past half hour looking over peoples set ups and i cant really find one (or think of one) that doesnt include buying more gear. if i do have to get some more gear, so be it-but im just looking for you guys to maybe fill in some of the blanks for me, and help me on deciding the most economical set up! :mug:

You need a place to hold your runnings until you are ready to boil. That could be another keggle, pot, or bucket. If you're doing 5 gallon batches I'd use a bucket, or pick up a cheap 5 gallon stainless steel pot from the dollar store. Other than that I think you're good to go.

i guess i should have added that i have a 5 gallon pot and 2 buckets (from mash/extract brews). i guess sometimes you just need some one to state the obvious haha thanks man.

Here's my simple setup.

ob3.jpg

Only thing not pictured, and perhaps the most critical is a wort chilling system. I use an immersion chiller.

If I were you I would sparge right into the keggle and use the 5 gallon to heat up your strike/sparge water.

Back