Electric Turkey Fryer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mZnthebend

Reaction score
Anybody have any experience with one of these things? It looks like it could be great for a HLT or at least some extract sessions this winter...or is everybody thinking this and this is why they are out of stock?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=7811421

0009442826070_500X500.jpg

I just realized this was covered before extensively. For future reference, is there a way to pull down a post?

I have a Masterbuilt one that's no good. It's OK for heating strike water, but doesn't have enough power to bring even three gallons of wort to a strong boil (a gentle simmer at best).

Remember, it's easier to heat oil than water; these electric fryers seem to be designed accordingly.

the_bird said:
I have a Masterbuilt one that's no good. It's OK for heating strike water, but doesn't have enough power to bring even three gallons of wort to a strong boil (a gentle simmer at best).

How long would you say it takes to heat up 3-4 gal of strike water to say 175 or so?

With the lid on mine will heat 3-5 gal. to strike / sparge temps in about an hour. They work great for an hlt if you sort of set and forget and do a few other things around the brewery / house. If you watch it they are painfully slow!!!

I use mine to heat water as well as a kettle supplemented w/ a heat stick. I think they are 1800 w +-, not real aggresive and not nearly enough for a full 6 gal. boil.

However, supplemented w/ an additional 2000w heattick, a kick a$$ little boiler. I paid $50 shipped and thats what it is worth. H. Depot clearanced these things out about a year ago for 30-40-50 bucks.

I think where these things would really shine is in making a low country boil....corn, chicken, sausage, new potatos, shrimp and some old bay, and dump on picnic table w/ some homebrews. Thats what I want to try w/ mine...but thats anotheer topic.
Cheers!
Mike

Back