Quick Disconnect on Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattreba

Reaction score
I had some success with QD on my kegerator and thought I'd share my experience. I know this isn't ground breaking but I learned a few things.

I have a Beverage-Air BM-23 4-tap homebrew kegerator and wanted to be able to swap in a full keg for those times when I have no homebrew to serve (like now). I already had a sanke coupler but didn't want to keep messing with clamps swapping fittings back and forth between sanke and ball locks. I ended up with these from McMaster:

5923K73
Qty 3
Nsf White Acetal Quick-disconnect Tube Cplg, Plug, 1/4" Tube Id, 1/4" Coupler, Shut-off Valve

5923K41
Qty 1
Nsf White Acetal Quick-disconnect Tube Cplg, Socket, 1/4" Tube Id, 1/4" Coupler, Straight Thru

5923K43
Qty 2
Nsf White Acetal Quick-disconnect Tube Cplg, Socket, 1/4" Tube Id, 1/4" Coupler, Shut-off Valve

The total cost was $34.54 which was over $15 cheaper than what I found looking at the various online homebrew shops.

I basically bought three sets of male/female fittings. I use male on anything that gives and female on anything that receives. So the gas-in ball lock, the gas-in on the sanke and the product line connected to my faucet are all female. The product-out ball lock and sanke and the gas line going to my regulator are all male.

I opted for QDs with shut-offs because I was worried about what would happen if something went awry. I didn't want 15 gallons of delicious beer on the basement floor. I mean the cat and dog would surely enjoy it but I really don't want to share. The female QD that is connected to my product line that goes to the faucet is the only one without a shutoff. I figured the straight-through fitting would make cleaning the line/faucet easier.

I was worried about the extra restriction from the smaller ID of the coupling causing foaming. I think I get a bit more foam when I first start pouring but then it's smooth sailing. I prefer pouring pitchers with this setup rather than shorts.

Another word of warning: With the sanke coupler on a 1/2 barrel using the QD on the output I have almost no clearance inside my kegerator. If I were to do this over again I'd buy a tailpiece for the sanke coupler that had a 90 degree elbow in it. I know they sell them but I didn't consider it at the time.

<end brain dump>
I hope that's helpful for someone!

Update: The first Sanke half-barrel keg I tried was the shorter, bulging center style and it barely worked. I got a half-barrel keg of Sierra Nevada and it is the normal sanke style cylinder. It really doesn't fit with the staright-through tail-piece on the keg coupler without hitting the 'ceiling' in my kegerator. I'm using a short 1-1.5" piece of tubing and it is bent hard. As a result of all of the restriction I am getting a lot of foam. I ended up removing the quick coupling on the product side of the keg coupler and will only use the QD on the CO2 side. This may be resolved by using a 90-degree elbow tail-piece instead of the straight through or it may still give me some trouble with the extra restriction caused by the QD. For now I'm just loosening the clamp and swapping the tubing directly to one of the two couplers I'm using. If I swap tail-peices in the future I'll post my results...

Back