Glutless Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadicated

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have made a few attempts at a Gluten Free Beer and finally have ended up with a Gluten free beer that is simple to make, and even I will drink. It is golden and light, reminds me of a German style pilsner, it is not complex and is not going to wow any beer affectionados. The recipe for 30L with a SG 1.040

8lb Sorghum Extract
400g Malto-Dextrine\
1.5oz Chinook Hops @ boil
0.5oz Mt.Hood Hops @ 20 minutes
0.5oz Willamette Hops @ 40 minutes
1 tsp Irish Moss @ 50 minutes
Boil-off @ 60
Danstar Windsor Ale Dry-Yeast

Primary fermentation @25oC for 8 days
Secondary fermentation @20oC for 15 days (could have been bottled after 10 days)

Notes
- I am adding the Malto-Dex for body, 200g was not enough and I am tempted to jump to 500g in my next batch.
- I have tried a few different hop profiles, this is by far the best thus far, high IBU's have not produced good results as I have been unable produce the body to match the bitterness.
- This has been a very cloudy beer, Irish moss definitely helps and the long secondary period. I did have a strange occurance with the last batch, note that the recipe is for 30L as I had to cut with water after boil as the SG was up over 1.05 and I have had fermentation issues before. Anyway, I fermented part of the batch in a Gallon Jug and it cleared amazingly (think crystal).... Is there anyone out there that can explain why, or had similar occurance?
- As for the yeast Danstar or Lallemand claims they are Gluten free and of the 10 Gluten intolerant people that I have subject to testing of the variations of this recipe, none have reported any untold issues other then the desired outcome of drinking beer.

Hoppy Brewing!

Back