Quick turnaround techniques

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVKTR2

Reaction score
I've performed a search and haven't come across exactly the discussion/answers I'm looking for. In general I'm interested in any techniques used to turn around brews fairly quickly.

What I've Got: A 1.038 OG wheat beer fermented with WB-06.
What I'm Considering: It took 4 days to complete fermentation (3 really). I want to give it 7 days beyond the 4, making a total of 11 days in primary. I'm on the fence as to wether I should transfer to secondary or not, should I? At Day 15 I plan on cold crashing for 4-5 days, as well as dry hopping, then kegging and drinking.

Thoughts?

depends on yeast........can u filter....I have made great 10 day ales with WL001

Get more kegs and brew more beer, and the problem will resolve itself.

depends on yeast........can u filter....I have made great 10 day ales with WL001

Generally I don't secondary, usually primary for 3-6 weeks and keg. Though the general consensus is that transferring a beer to secondary will facilitate quicker clearing. As for the yeast it's the dry hefeweizen WB-06 which I haven't used before. Technically it shouldn't hurt for some of it to be in suspension, being a hefe yeast. I'm guessing the cold crash will take care of most of the yeast in suspension.

Get more kegs and brew more beer, and the problem will resolve itself.

Patience is one of my stronger points as a homebrewer. ;) I'm just wanting to turn this around to do it.

Do you have a way to control temperatures? Start the ferment at the lower range of the yeast's preferred temperature and keep it there for the 2 to 3 days of fast ferment, then warm it to room temp (72 to 75) to encourage the yeast to finish and clean up. Leave it at this temp for 3 to 5 days and then cold crash it to drop the yeast. Keg it and add your dry hops in a hop bag right in the keg and start drinking at about the 3rd day.

Do you have a way to control temperatures? Start the ferment at the lower range of the yeast's preferred temperature and keep it there for the 2 to 3 days of fast ferment, then warm it to room temp (72 to 75) to encourage the yeast to finish and clean up. Leave it at this temp for 3 to 5 days and then cold crash it to drop the yeast. Keg it and add your dry hops in a hop bag right in the keg and start drinking at about the 3rd day.

I've already done as you state, fermented at fermentation temps and it now sits at around 73 degrees till I decide to do something with it.

For a quick turn around I ferment at low temps until active fermentation slows then a rest at room temp for a few days to let the yeast "clean up" then rack to secondary stir in Super-kleer kc as directed then cold crash. Yeast will drop right out. Then rack to keg and force carb. This worked really well with a cream ale.

After about 24-48 hours of being finished, the beer is ready to be packaged. I see no advantage at all for a 1.038 beer, especially a wheat, to sit for any prolonged length of time.

Proper pitching rate and fermentation temperature means a lower OG beer is ready within a very short period of time. I'd keg it by day 7-10 for sure.

Yooper said:
After about 24-48 hours of being finished, the beer is ready to be packaged. I see no advantage at all for a 1.038 beer, especially a wheat, to sit for any prolonged length of time.

Proper pitching rate and fermentation temperature means a lower OG beer is ready within a very short period of time. I'd keg it by day 7-10 for sure.

Amen!! I can go from grain to glass on a 1.055 or less OG beer in 2 weeks pretty easily: 5 days to ferment out, 2 day cold crash, 5-7 days to carb. With a more flocculant yeast, it'll even be totally bright by that time too. I really don't understand all the "3 week primary" talk. I mean , I'm patient and all, but goodness.

Amen!! I can go from grain to glass on a 1.055 or less OG beer in 2 weeks pretty easily: 5 days to ferment out, 2 day cold crash, 5-7 days to carb. With a more flocculant yeast, it'll even be totally bright by that time too. I really don't understand all the "3 week primary" talk. I mean , I'm patient and all, but goodness.

I brewed a 1.054 Scottish ale with wlp028 a week ago sunday. I pitched @61F, and held it in the low 60's for about 2 days, then let it rise on its own to 68 F. It was done after three days (1.015). I raised the temp to 71 F for two days, then cooled it to 38 F for two more days and bottled it yesterday. It tasted pretty good. I'd rather do my conditioning/aging/whatever in the bottle while it's carbing up. I don't see much advantage to just leaving it in the fermenter, provided I have time to bottle. I usually find that after 2-3 weeks of carbing, a few weeks of cold conditioning really brings my brews around. But I'll probably start drinking it in 5 days anyway, lol.

Exactly, pitch appropriately (to slightly heavy) o2, give it a few days for cleanup after initial ferment is over and given its a hefe, I'd package it. Secondary is usually pointless, especially in this case.

I pretty much do everything everyone said (low ferm temp, then room temp to finish off). I cold crash as soon as I hit my final gravity. If I dry hop I do it in the keg while it's carbing. If not, I just shake it at 45 psi for two minutes. I almost never wait longer than 10 days to drink my beers, and they are clear and delicious.

This. It's a wheat beer... you're not waiting for anything to clear. Bag it as soon as it's done fermenting and drink it.

Back