Crazy Fermentation!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banjopicker16

Reaction score
So, my barleywine was brewed yesterday, with an OG of 92 (wanted 100 or more, but I opted for second runnings). Anyway, I woke up this morning to a HUGE and vigorous fermentation. I put it in a warmer area to help it get going, but now it has been fermenting at 78degrees and I cant get it down! Do you all think that the time I will age the barleywine will help fade all the fusels and esters? Or have I just put my beer on the path to ruination.

:confused: **** WHAT HAVE I DONE

Put it in a cold water bath if you can, and bring the temperature down to the mid-60's (for most ale yeasts anyway).

In the future, you don't really want to jumpstart fermentation by intentionally keeping your fermenter at a relatively high temperature. If anything, you want to keep the surrounding environment slightly cool, since a very active fermentation will raise the temperature inside the fermenter by up to about 5 degrees F. Many of the yeast-produced esters and fusel alcohols are produced during their most active time, which is typically the during the first few hours (up to a few days) of fermentation.

It might be ok, but give it a cold bath, asap. The less time spent at high temperatures the better. Fusel alcohols do not mellow. I start my big beers at the low end of the temperature range. By pitching on a cake, I still get a good start, but without over-heating.

Back