A word of warning with unpasturized cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LambChop4Prez

Reaction score
Start fermenting your unpasturized cider as soon as you get it. At least drop some camden into it.
I just finished cleaning a sticky mess in my refrigerator because I had left my cider in there for a week. Lucky for me it was in a plastic jug so I didn't have to deal with broken glass.
You have all been warned. Learn from my mistake.

This mistake might be a godsend. Let it ride down till about 1.020 - 1.010 then draw a sample, if it tastes decent, draw another sample, cold crash the sample and read up on yeast washing. Stabilise and bottle the rest before it gets too dry as wild yeast tends to leave some nasty tastes the drier it gets.

This mistake might be a godsend. Let it ride down till about 1.020 - 1.010 then draw a sample, if it tastes decent, draw another sample, cold crash the sample and read up on yeast washing. Stabilise and bottle the rest before it gets too dry as wild yeast tends to leave some nasty tastes the drier it gets.

I really wish I could have saved enough of it to do this. Unfortunately, the majority of it was on the inside of my refrigerator and the floor around it.

Reminds me of the plastic gallon jug of orange juice I forgot in the back of the fridge. Came across it when it was swelled up round like a basketball. Another day or so and boom!

Latest posts

Back