Foamy beer lines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phlchuck

Reaction score
Hi, I'm having an issue and wanted to see if anyone out there had some encouraging feedback....It involves a dark IPA that I eagerly want to enjoy :)

I'm working on my first kegging experience and am getting nothing but foam in the lines right from the corney. I filled the keg about 2 weeks ago and shot it with about 12-15psi and stored it (room temp) while I finished another store bought keg that was in my kegerator. That said, after a week of being stored at room temp, I started carbonating in the kegerator for about a week now around 12-15psi.

While in the kegerator for a few days, I got eager to test and tried to pour a beer and it barely dripped out. I figured it was lack of carbonation and gave it a few more days. When I checked today it was still the same so I started doing more research. I turned off the gas, took off the QD and hooked up the gas to the out line to flush out the dip tube. Once I rehooked up the beer out and gas in, the flow started coming....but was almost all foam. Now, since this is an IPA, I will assume there was hop residue initially clogging, but now that the flow seems to be going, why so much foam? I have purged the keg and reset the regulator to about 8psi.

Before a fart around with this keg too much, I was looking for some feedback...

Potential issues after reading other posts:
* length of beer line hose (only about 5')
* time of carbonation (need another week?)
* tapping keg while pressurizing/carbonating keg
* lack of patience...taking a sample pour every few days
* 5gal corney only filled about 3.5gal

I think given the fact that my kegs will most likely sit at room temp before tapping, I will prime the kegs once filled. I am also going to invest in longer beer line.

Weird that it is foamy after a few days and carbonating warm, did you shake it? It may take time to settle if you did. A smaller ID line will givr you more resistance, what size is yours? Also colder beer loses less co2 so whats your serving temp? I get my beer to serving temp, put it at about 14 psi and shake, then let it set a week connected to co2. 5 ft of 3/16 line at 40 degrees and 14 psi works good for me. Carb at your serving temp and serving psi if possible and give it time.

Weird that it is foamy after a few days and carbonating warm, did you shake it? It may take time to settle if you did. A smaller ID line will givr you more resistance, what size is yours? Also colder beer loses less co2 so whats your serving temp? I get my beer to serving temp, put it at about 14 psi and shake, then let it set a week connected to co2. 5 ft of 3/16 line at 40 degrees and 14 psi works good for me. Carb at your serving temp and serving psi if possible and give it time.

I have about 5' of 3/16 line. I need to get a thermostat, but the kegerator is set at one of the higher setting so it shouldn't be too cold/freezing.

No, I didn't shake it. I carb'd it warm only when i first filled the keg and that was with a quick shot of about 10-12psi. Then it sat for a week at room temp.

I'll get a thermostat today and set the C02 at serving psi and be patient...or try to :) right now it is at about 8psi as I was concerned of over carbonating.

Back