Latest Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clef

Reaction score
:D I got my latest brew in the primary last night and got up this morning to find that it was bubbling along nicely.

It's a pale ale, my first partial mash. It smelled beautiful when I was mashing (my wife's opinions differ slightly).

I think my mashing efficiencies where a little low and it's a little darker than I wanted, but other than that I'm really happy with it so far. Here's my recipe if you want to make any comments.

Clef's Orkish Ale

Grains & Extract
6 lbs. English 2-row Pale
1 lbs. American Caramel 40
2 lbs. Dry Light Extract

Hops
1 oz. East Kent Goldings boiled 60 minutes.
1 oz. Cascade boiled 30 minutes.
0.5 oz. East Kent Goldings boiled 15 minutes.

Later
clef

It's a little light on hops for an Orkish, don't you think? Doesn't the style guideline say 3000 IBU for an orkish ale? ;)

El Pistolero said:
It's a little light on hops for an Orkish, don't you think? Doesn't the style guideline say 3000 IBU for an orkish ale? ;)

Yeah, you might be right. :) I'll try that next time.

clef said:
:D I got my latest brew in the primary last night and got up this morning to find that it was bubbling along nicely.

It's a pale ale, my first partial mash. It smelled beautiful when I was mashing (my wife's opinions differ slightly).

I think my mashing efficiencies where a little low and it's a little darker than I wanted, but other than that I'm really happy with it so far. Here's my recipe if you want to make any comments.

looks good clef! feels good when you wake up in the morning to check a brew and it's work'n away. my wife dig's the smell during boiling. even when the hops are added! i'll make her a hop-head yet :p

how did you come up with the recipe?

DeRoux's Broux said:
looks good clef! feels good when you wake up in the morning to check a brew and it's work'n away. my wife dig's the smell during boiling. even when the hops are added! i'll make her a hop-head yet :p

how did you come up with the recipe?

Thanks

I used Ray Daniels book "Designing Great Beers" and a bit of my own imagination.

clef

I just racked this from the primary to the secondary and it looks, smells, and tastes wonderful. :drunk:

The gravity is at 1.014 (OG 1.047).

Later
clef

Back