Nut Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zaprozdower

Reaction score
So I'm trying to order ingredients for 2 brews at once to take advantage of the flat shipping rate. Already got my Wee Heavy planned...how does this sound for a nut brown (totally just made it up).

3 pounds amber DME
2 pounds light DME
.5 pounds victory
.2 pounds black patent
.5 pounds carapils

60 min .5 oz magnum
20 min .5 oz fuggle
0-5 min .25 oz magnum
0-5 min .25 oz fuggle

I know black patent tends to not be used in a nut brown but I wanted to be daring. Likewise with magnum, would chocolate malt be a better choice over black patent? I just really liked the black patent taste in my pumpkin porter...

id say your whole style is kinda outa whack. its not really a nut brown at all. thats closer to a porter, but not as dark, or heavy. you kinda got a weird hybrid thing going on. brew it and let us know how it turns out.

Doesn't look too far off, except for the hops--a bit strong for the style. Could be a good experiment, but you're using a lot of flavorful malts, and the hops might be a little overwhelming.

If you're into the hops go for it. Me, I'd cut the hops back to 1/4 oz. for all 4 additions, but that's my taste.

Yeah I know Black Patent tends to be reserved for porters, but I want it to really be a secondary thing rather than a dominant flavor.

You really think the hops would be overwhelming? My calcs have it at about 22 IBU, which seems ok for a Nut Brown. Am I wrong?

Latest posts

Back