Yeast Quantities

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will_Tingle

Reaction score
I've been thinking - given that the yeast basically "breeds" in your Wine, does it really matter how much yeast you start with? as far as I can gather the only difference it could make is a small difference to your total fermentation time.

I ask 'cause I've been looking at the high alcohol and high speed yeasts, but there all sold in packets intended to brew 25 liters, and I want to do 5 liter batches, if i just use approximately 1/5th of a pack that should do - right?

Generally, one package of yeast (the 5 gram size) is good for 1-6 gallons of wine. I'm not sure of the bigger sized packages, but you might want to use more than you are thinking. Once you open the package, and expose the yeast to air, even if you stick it back in the fridge, it's not viable for very long. So, either use it or throw it away basically.

Generally, one package of yeast (the 5 gram size) is good for 1-6 gallons of wine.

Okay, so if I were making 5 X 1 gallon demijohns, could I split the pack between them?

Once you open the package, and expose the yeast to air, even if you stick it back in the fridge, it's not viable for very long. So, either use it or throw it away basically.

So, how do you go on withj the 50/100g tubs of wine yeast you can buy then? they seem to be fine as long as you keep the lid on between batches...

--
Sorry for all the N00b questions, but I'm a N00b...

Back