Winter sucks!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stokems

Reaction score
Its cold,snowy and 17 degrees outside. I'd love to use my all grain rig but not gonna happen in this weather. Spring can't get here soon enough.So while I'm waiting for my Grand Cru extract kit to arrive I though I'd make some other stuff while I wait.
3 gallons of hard cider, 1 gallon of Ed Worts apfelwein, 1 gallon of blackberry melomel , and last but not least a fermenting gallon of lavender mead from Dec 08. Here's some pics.

Anyone else got some stuff Brewin?:mug:

mead 26jan09 001.jpg

mead 26jan09 002.jpg

mead 26jan09 003.jpg

mead 26jan09 004.jpg

mead 26jan09 005.jpg

I am hoping to brew 15 gallons this week if I can swing the time. One 10 gallon and one 5. Means getting up wicked early before the wife and kids. All grain too.

Oh and the temp here might get above zero by noon time. Was -26F this morning at 7 am. Should be colder in the next few days.

:D

But it is possible to brew in below freezing temps. My last 3 brews were done at -20 F, +5 F & -10 F. Just bundle up.

Have to watch out for the slightly elevated boil off rate too...

But chilling the wort is a breeze!

Ah yes, I'm actually enjoying my Michigan winter so far this year. I may change my tune once I do my first outdoor brew in the next couple weeks. Maybe I'll just make more apfelwein instead!

I'm in the other extreme. You guys worry about low temps, and I cant get my primary under 72 deg with a wet t-shirt. I'm going to have to find a fridge to stick it in when I want to make my pilsners.....I love Miami!:drunk:

I have a 9" pancake of fire in my basement-hurricane burner modded to run on natural gas with the orifice from willie's.

I guess if I really want to get out there I could. But the idea of standing in the frigid weather takes the enjoyment out of it for me. I will make extract and ciders/meads in the winter and all grain brews in the other seasons. They all go down easy!

It's clear, slightly windy, and in the high 60's here in LA today. :D :ban:

I hate you!:mad: Just rub it in why don't you.

Oh how i miss home, i'm from Long Beach. Want to move back really bad but the job is what moved me out here in the first place so i'm stuck for now. Here it is a quarter after 1pm and the temp is 21 with a wind chill down to zero. Although this is just a cold spell, it has been in the 40's all January, which is unusually high for this time of year here.

I guess if I really want to get out there I could. But the idea of standing in the frigid weather takes the enjoyment out of it for me. I will make extract and ciders/meads in the winter and all grain brews in the other seasons. They all go down easy!

Its not that hard to brew outside in cold weather. I am usually in and out enough I just put on a light coat. I can keep an eye on the brew from inside. The only time I'm standing around much is when it get ready to start boiling.

But even if you wanted to stay around for the whole brew process it is just a matter of a warm jacket and hat.

Now for those guys brewing in below 0F weather I am really impressed. Things start getting difficult at those temps. In the 20s not problem. Fortunately, like Boston, Cleveland doesn't see too many days below 0F.

Craig

Its cold,snowy and 17 degrees outside....Anyone else got some stuff Brewin?:mug:

Here in SW Ohio we already have about 2.5" on the ground with another 6 or so expected.

I'm contemplating giving mead a shot in the near future. Can you post the recipe for that Blackberry mead in your attached gallery? It looks great.

Yeah, I'm in Southern IN and we've got 4 inches of snow and another 1/2 inch or so of ice on top...

I love winter brewing, by the way. It keeps my basement at a chilly 60 degrees, perfect brew temps. I'm thinking of shutting the heat off all the way and trying to get into lager temps!

Blackberry mead:
1.5 lbs of blackberries
3 pounds clover honey
A dry white wine yeast (lavlin ect.)
enough water to fill the gallon jug.

I clean and sterilize my 1 gallon jug and equiptment. Then squish the blackberries and pour in jug. Mix honey w/ semi hot water to get all that goodness and make it easier to pour in. Finally fill to almost top and add yeast. cover and shake vigorously. The hardest part is waiting for it to be ready to drink.

I live in Iowa and work outside. This has been the longest coldest that I can remember! It is 11 degrees out. But that is 35 degrees warmer then two weeks ago!

Wuss. Grow a set and get your a$$ out there and brew!

and in 6 months there will be a tread ts to hot to brew .... I am going to brew Wed winter storm warning 5-8 inches of snow and then 1/2 inch off ice High 28*screw it I'm the Boss/owner/bottlewasher I can do what I want. 10 gallons of Beirmunchers Octoberfast comin up.

Wuss. Grow a set and get your a$$ out there and brew!

Thanks Bernie Brewer for those encouraging words of support. Maybe I'll go and brew some A$$hole ale for ya. I plan on going out this weekend, its gonna be 35 and sunny.:mug:

Just brew it! I was outside last night and There's a full fermenter of Snow Flake Pilsner in the fridge right now.

SWMBO was looking at me through the slider, standing in the flurries over a boiling wort with a cigar clenched in my teeth... Oh yeah.. I'm nuts

Thanks Bernie Brewer for those encouraging words of support. Maybe I'll go and brew some A$$hole ale for ya. I plan on going out this weekend, its gonna be 35 and sunny.:mug:

Oh, I'm terribly sorry. I didn't realize that you were so overly sensitive. Please allow me to belatedly add some smileys to show that my post was indeed intended in good fun. :D:D:D

There- that better? Perhaps you should add some Prozac to your next brew.

I was just teasin' ya, dude. Get over yourself.

I finally got that Grand Cru recipe for Austin homebrew. They were pretty prompt w/ it. I'll get out there on Saturday. I got the added malt to boost my abv. Anyone ever made it before. Any Pointers?

Back