Thermometer Placement?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRock

Always Ready
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I see Thermometer's in Keggel's all over the place. How do you decide the "best" place to put them? Up, Down, Center? Using Sankey kegs, 15.5 gal as typical. 5 gallon brews till I go to 10's.

5 Gallon pot extract partial boils- I like to get the temperature in the middle for a good medium. I would recommend marking your fill levels and have it a little below center of your starting volume (due to boil off).

If you are starting with 5 gallon batches then fill up the keggle with 5 gallons and then put the thermometer in the middle of the level. You do not want it right on or near the bottom. From there you can put it right beside the ball valve or right above it just depends where the water level is.:)

If you are starting with 5 gallon batches then fill up the keggle with 5 gallons and then put the thermometer in the middle of the level. You do not want it right on or near the bottom. From there you can put it right beside the ball valve or right above it just depends where the water level is.:)

I still recommend a little below half (as posted above) due to boil off. While you're filling to test your levels, you might as well mark them or calibrate a sight glass :)

I've put mine right at the 2 gallon mark for my HLT, which is actually pretty low. It's the exact same height as the ball valve as well. I really wanted to be able to have only 2-3 gallons in the HLT but still be able to get a temperature reading. I've seen others put them pretty high on their kettles, but I'd rather not heat up 8-10 gallons of water if I don't need it.

Back