Portland area hop growers; seeing shoots yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damdaman

Reaction score
Anyone in the Portland, OR area have shoots yet? Last year by this time my 2nd year plants were already starting to climb. This year, I haven't seen any shoots so far. I'm not super worried yet, it has been cold until the last few days, but I'm starting to get a little concerned.

I did add several inches of wood chip mulch last fall, I wonder if this is affecting anything? More work for the shoots to break through? Keeping the ground a little cooler by insulating it from the sun more?

I'm in North Idaho and should have comparable weather...with more snow. I have small shoots on everything (Cent, Chin, Magnum, KG, & CTZ) except Cascade and Mt. Hood varieties. I'm not sure if those varieties are just slow, or if the plants didn't make it.

nothing here, they've been in the ground for prolly 2-3 weeks now though, so they're new as well. but it's been too chilly for much of anything to grow yet lol

Mine were small plants from Great Lakes that I planted in late fall. If you just put rhizones in a few weeks ago, I wouldn't be surprised that they haven't come up yet...hard to be patient..huh? (I keep checking my little shoots too).

Yeah these are 3rd year hops and like I said, they sprouted in March last year and were already 2-3' up the trellis by this time last year.

One single, solitary galena shoot has appeared though! No sign of centennial of zeus.

I was hoping to get the pulse from the Portland area in general in case I'm not the only one seeing late emergence.

Anyone know how warm the ground needs to be for the crowns to sprout shoots?

Well I got my answer as I walked by a house I know grows hops in their front yard today - they had 1-3 foot high healthy looking, strong shoots.

I think I'm going to remove the wood chip mulch tomorrow. I think that might be causing issues.

Do they grow the same hops as you? Some strains "wake up" before others, but it still might be a good idea to get rid of the wood chips.

I've got a couple of 2nd year plants that both have 3"-4" shoots on them.
No mulch. Eastern exposure.

3 days ago I planted 2 Goldings. I don't expect anything for at least 2 weeks. My mom wanted to give hop growing a shot so I gave her 4 Cascade rhizomes. She is going to start those in her windowsill and and soon as they break through she will transfer them outside.

I'm considering picking up some Chinook next week.

nothing here, they've been in the ground for prolly 2-3 weeks now though, so they're new as well. but it's been too chilly for much of anything to grow yet lol

cascade showed it's first sprout! its about 2" long and i just noticed it today! HOLLA!
the northern brewer is still dormant though...

:ban::ban::ban:

Well I pulled back the wood chips today. Found several shoots underneath from the Galena, one or two possible shoots from the centennial plant, and nothing from the zeus.

It was pretty wet and cold on the soil surface so I'm hoping that's the only reason for the delay.

I'm in Seattle, but my centennials are up, and my mystery hops are over a foot.

ForumRunner_20120413_112711.jpg

ForumRunner_20120413_112721.jpg

I have 2 zeus, 1 magnum, and 1 willamette plant that are all sending out shoots. The zeus and willamette have a bunch of shoots with the longest ones between 12-18" tall. No so much on the magnum, but a couple shoots up a few inches tall right now.

Mine just came up last week, mt hood and northern brewer. Both are 2nd year plants in boxes that get 8 hours direct sun. They're are about 2" tall now and yeah, I wad getting worried until just this week.

I have Zeus, Cascade and Willamette.

- Zeus is the tallest (one shoot ~18"), though fewest shoots with about 8 showing
- Cascade has a crazy number of shoots coming up (20-30?), up to about 8" tall
- Willamette has maybe 10-12 shoots, about the same height as Cascade

my northern brewer finally showed shoots yesterday!
cascade hasn't grown much but shows 3 leaves on it

Hey, thanks for the responses, glad to know I'm not the only one seeing late emergence.

The area I have them planted doesn't get much direct sunlight until later in the season, but I'm hoping the nice weather this weekend is supposed to bring will warm the ground up enough to spring my zeus and centennial into life.

The galena finally has several shoots poking up, so I think it's in good shape, even though they're still tiny.

Mt Hood has grown about an inch since the weekend but the n. Brewer is stalled a bit.

On a side note, my potatoes are doing great! Grown about a foot in 2 weeks

I just planted a Galena and a Cascade about a month ago & they're both about 4 inches now & I just brewed my first beer last weekend!

My first post!

With the past few hot days mine are coming up like mad men!

Back