New Guiness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably safe to say that it will be as unspectacular as the original Guiness.

I just couldn't get over how the Irish in Dublin drink that like it's their own version of BMC Light.

I believe Guinness has always had a lager in their portfolio. As a matter of fact, Revvy posted a Guinness ad from years ago advertising it. Not sure if it was ever available here.

Zixxer, the BJCP disagrees with your opinion, considering Guinness Draught (and canned), is the first example listed for the Dry Stout category. Guinness Draught is the reason you won't find too many craft examples of regular dry stout. They can't compete, and its not worth trying.

Isn't this kinda like a schwarzbier.
Ill try it but ive never had a lager that made me say omg must have more.(for that reason i've never drank many lagers)

I cant open it in Facebook but is it just the Guiness Black Lager? If so its been around for a while

Coldies said:
I cant open it in Facebook but is it just the Guiness Black Lager? If so its been around for a while

Ya it says it comes out in September but i say it at my liquor store the other day

I have never seen it before. Can't wait to give it a try. Guinnes has always been my "go to" beer. Really like the extra stout.

I have noticed the lagers are extremely popular in the UK. That an cider. Kinda makes me sad. In the motherland of ale. I am not a big lager guy either won't be rushing out to try it.

I have had the black lager and it didn't do it for me. I had it a few months ago here in chicago. It is a good clean lager but i do prefer ales. Just like everyone else the FES is very good for guiness and since i dont care for the original guiness too much. Not for everyone i guess...

It does sounds like a schwarzbier to me. I'll give it a try, Guinness has always been a backup beer for me. And Guinness Foreign Export Stout is damn tasty.

I've had my share of FES since it appeared in the States last year, but it seems markedly different from the FES I remember from the Caribbean about ten years ago. The Caribbean FES had a distinct sour bite at the finish that seems lacking these days. Any word on whether they tweaked the recipe, or export different versions to different countries?

Probably safe to say that it will be as unspectacular as the original Guiness.

I just couldn't get over how the Irish in Dublin drink that like it's their own version of BMC Light.

Have you ever tried Guiness in Ireland or Europe? Its pretty fantastic. The crap we get over here is nothing like what they are drinking.

I believe Guinness has always had a lager in their portfolio. As a matter of fact, Revvy posted a Guinness ad from years ago advertising it. Not sure if it was ever available here.

Zixxer, the BJCP disagrees with your opinion, considering Guinness Draught (and canned), is the first example listed for the Dry Stout category. Guinness Draught is the reason you won't find too many craft examples of regular dry stout. They can't compete, and its not worth trying.

I was talking more about the quantity with which Dubliners drink Guiness, not the style.

I've had my share of FES since it appeared in the States last year, but it seems markedly different from the FES I remember from the Caribbean about ten years ago. The Caribbean FES had a distinct sour bite at the finish that seems lacking these days. Any word on whether they tweaked the recipe, or export different versions to different countries?

Guiness has been known to have certain recipes for certain regions, they'll tell you that on their brewery tour.

Have you ever tried Guiness in Ireland or Europe? Its pretty fantastic. The crap we get over here is nothing like what they are drinking.

The Foreign Extra that hit the market here in the states last year is supposed to be the closest to what they get overseas. It's fantastic.

12910.jpg

Even though Revvy pretty much substantiated my opinion with his post, i will say that i HAVE had fresh Guiness from both their store room and all around Ireland in different places. Well, almost. If you ask for a Guiness in Cork you'll be thrown out of the bar, Murphy's is king in southern Ireland.

Plus, i think there's some sort of religious fued still raging between which beers are made by protestants and catholics. Much like the very vocal Jameson vs Bushmills squabble.

Isn't this kinda like a schwarzbier.
Ill try it but ive never had a lager that made me say omg must have more.(for that reason i've never drank many lagers)

It sounds like it might be on or above the roasty end of a schwarzbier and on the low end or below on hoppiness. Also, I would assume they would use English rather than continental hops.

When I was in Ireland last year (mostly Dublin) I drank Guinness almost every night. I would still try other beers and ciders to see what they had. I remember one night I sat down and asked for a Murphy's for the first time since I got there and told my GF "Not bad but I like the Guinness here much more." The bartender heard me and said "Thats because Murphy's is s&!t" then half the bar went on about how Guinness is the king of beers. So like Zixxer said its probably where your at and what crowd your with.

One thing is for certain though ever since I came back from Ireland, I can't drink a Guinness here, almost no body, and no hop flavors compared to the Ireland version. The Guinness Foreign is the closest that comes to Ireland and its damn good :tank:

I might be laying my hands on a bottle or two tonight.......It hasn't hit the stores in MI yet. BUT one of my brewing friends works for a distributor and mentioned there's a couple cases in his boss's office, and he might be able to "spare" a couple bottles for my birthday.

Sometimes it's cool being me. ;)

the Hy-vee by me had an un-opened pallet when i showed up there yesterday. i got the first sixxer of it. the hardest part was waiting for it to cool down. I personally don't think its too bad. It is like night and day with regualr Guinness, the foam is brownish with more bubbly. Nothing like drinking used motor oil. and to me not as much flavor as Guinness Draught. I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks of it.

I've definitely had this beer. It has been the in grocery stores in CA for over a year. I wish I had a bottle still in my house to prove that. Anyway it is decent, not very exciting, its really a roasted, malty lager. Not bad but not spectacular.

That's my general feeling of most major breweries. They all lack passion in their work.

Zixxer10R said:
That's my general feeling of most major breweries. They all lack passion in their work.

I am sure it just comes from producing the same thing over and over again. It's just like any factory at that point. Craft brew is completely different. They are just big commercial homebrewers.

I really enjoyed the FES, but it quite a bit stronger (Alc %) and it go me. Guess thats why it only comes in a four pack (around here anyway). :mug:

For those who don't know, Guinness has a nice app the smart phones.

All the Guinness for North America is produced in the brewery in Dublin. Maybe that wasn't always the case or maybe they have a different recipe for the US like someone else said (and maybe my palate sucks) but the Guinness I had in Dublin this summer didn't taste all that different to me.

Pasturization ruins Guiness IMHO. The Rogue Oatmeal Stout was pretty tasty though. Maybe I need to grab a sixer of the FES and see what its all about.

All the Guinness for North America is produced in the brewery in Dublin. Maybe that wasn't always the case or maybe they have a different recipe for the US like someone else said (and maybe my palate sucks) but the Guinness I had in Dublin this summer didn't taste all that different to me.

I agree 100%.

My wife and I spent about 2 weeks in Irland last spring, and drank my way from Dublin, down to Cork, and all the way up to Donegal. We had our share of Guinness, Murphy's, and Beamish (Murphy's became my favorite if anyone is keeping score).

This is a tough sell, but IMO, the Guiness Draught in Ireland was the exact same beer we drink in North America. The only difference is the obvious freshness of the beer and the way it is handled at the pub. The other big difference is the environment you are enjoying the beer in. Sipping a fresh Guinness in a little pub in Galway is just not the same as ordering a Guinness at TGI Fridays and having it served to you in a Bud Light shaker glass. I think the environment is a big part of the reason that many people say the beer is TOTALLY different in Ireland.

As far as the Foreign Extra Stout (yellow labeled bottles) that recently became available here - I think they released those 4-packs some time last year- that is the same FES you could find at a few select places in Ireland when I was over there. In fact, I only saw/bought it once, and flipped out because at the time it was not available in the states. I even smuggled a couple bottles home in my luggage to share with a friend. I drank FES in Ireland, and drank the FES released in the US - same beer. Similarly, I drank the draught product in Ireland and in the states - again; same beer.

I agree 100%.

My wife and I spent about 2 weeks in Irland last spring, and drank my way from Dublin, down to Cork, and all the way up to Donegal. We had our share of Guinness, Murphy's, and Beamish (Murphy's became my favorite if anyone is keeping score).

This is a tough sell, but IMO, the Guiness Draught in Ireland was the exact same beer we drink in North America. The only difference is the obvious freshness of the beer and the way it is handled at the pub. The other big difference is the environment you are enjoying the beer in. Sipping a fresh Guinness in a little pub in Galway is just not the same as ordering a Guinness at TGI Fridays and having it served to you in a Bud Light shaker glass. I think the environment is a big part of the reason that many people say the beer is TOTALLY different in Ireland.

As far as the Foreign Extra Stout (yellow labeled bottles) that recently became available here - I think they released those 4-packs some time last year- that is the same FES you could find at a few select places in Ireland when I was over there. In fact, I only saw/bought it once, and flipped out because at the time it was not available in the states. I even smuggled a couple bottles home in my luggage to share with a friend. I drank FES in Ireland, and drank the FES released in the US - same beer. Similarly, I drank the draught product in Ireland and in the states - again; same beer.

Most County Cork-sters would tend to agree with your assertion jfowler.

If Guinness FES is the best stout you have had, you need to get out more.

Schlafly's E S blows it out of the water, not even close. Yeti and a whole slew of others come to mind also.

As for a Guinness Lager, I won't go out of my way to try it, but I'd read a review.

I don't think anyone said FES was the best stout out there, just that it was delicious.

What I can't believe is how many supposed beer geeks, for whatever reasons (usually just because it's made by "x" brewery) are so close minded that they "would even try it."

Me I'm excited when there's a new beer out there, whether it's from a craft brewery or a big brewery. Hell, even if I end up not liking it, I won't know it unless I try it.

I even ended up surprisingly liking Bud American Ale when it came out. I didn't expect to, but it took me by surprise.

I would like to say that I had tried every beer on the planet, at least once in my lifetime. Regardless of who made it, and whether or not I even liked it, which would probably account for a large percentage of the beer. But at least I tried.

How can folks claim to love beer, be so narrow minded, not to even want to try something at least once?

If Guinness FES is the best stout you have had, you need to get out more.

Schlafly's E S blows it out of the water, not even close. Yeti and a whole slew of others come to mind also.

As for a Guinness Lager, I won't go out of my way to try it, but I'd read a review.

If you're going to discount someone's choice of Guinness FES and the first stout that comes to mind is Schlafly's, you need to get out more. Firestone Walker Parabola blows it out of the water. Founders IS and a whole slew of others come to mind also.

And if you're going to pull the snob card, you need to realize that there are likely to be people who can outsnob you.

I can't remember the Irish stars name who said on Leno, that Guiness is crap. Kind of like us saying BMC is crap. But what is real funny is to see people arguing which is better of the BMC bunch.

I thought the guinness for north America generally came from Canada?

Guinness draught is made in ireland and exported to the states, Im not sure about the FES but some of the bottled guinness is made in canada

(i hope my info is correct cuz Im to lazy to google it right now but I think that is somewhat right)

If you're going to discount someone's choice of Guinness FES and the first stout that comes to mind is Schlafly's, you need to get out more. Firestone Walker Parabola blows it out of the water. Founders IS and a whole slew of others come to mind also.

And if you're going to pull the snob card, you need to realize that there are likely to be people who can outsnob you.

There's slowbie again!

I said a slew of others, and I would put Schlafly's EXTRA against any of yours.

Nice snobbery though!

Good try.

Back