possible stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbullblue

Reaction score
Brewed an Irish Stout yesterday. It started to ferment in the bucket in just under 5 hours. Came home from work today(monday 5/16) to discover a clogged airlock. I replaced it with a new sanitized airlock but now see no activity. I know it means little in a bucket, however it was bubbling last night. It appears the krausen has fallen also. I haven't taken a reading, wanted to see what you guys had to say first.

Thanks
Bradley

Keep waiting. While the airlock was clogged, the CO2 under pressure likely found another place to vent out, likely between the lid and the bucket.

Give it a couple weeks and give it a gravity check then.

Noticed some very slow airlock activity today.
I searched quick fermentation and got a lot of info. I didn't realize a ferment could be so quick. Anyway all is good.

Thanks

So I'm still a complete noob on my first batch in fermentation but I'm trying to take all the advice on patience and relaxation to heart.

That being said- after heavy activity in the airlork the first few days in a highish temp brew closer (78* F- not much control over it or any other option) i came back from the weekend, the weather cooled and no activity. I waited a few more days and now on day 6, still no visible activity in the airlick. I read on here the only real way to tell is to take a reading on consecutive days and see if there's a change so I've got my sterile cup ready to take a sample for an initial gravity reading. Should I hold off for the full two weeks?

Noobrew said:
So I'm still a complete noob on my first batch in fermentation but I'm trying to take all the advice on patience and relaxation to heart.

That being said- after heavy activity in the airlork the first few days in a highish temp brew closer (78* F- not much control over it or any other option) i came back from the weekend, the weather cooled and no activity. I waited a few more days and now on day 6, still no visible activity in the airlick. I read on here the only real way to tell is to take a reading on consecutive days and see if there's a change so I've got my sterile cup ready to take a sample for an initial gravity reading. Should I hold off for the full two weeks?

*airlock
*brew closet

There isn't any reason why you should be doing anything with it yet unless you have your heart set on pulling the beer out early.

If you let it sit, you get the extra benefit of off-flavors clearing up, yeast flocculation, and so on.

Airlock activity doesn't really mean much unless it is clicking like a machine gun, in which case an aggressive fermentation is usually present. It can bubble because of air pressure changes or changes in temperature too. Because of this, it is more of a tool to keep outside air from getting in and not much else.

*dons Revvy costume*

it may take 24-72 hours for visible signs of fermentation, etc...

More stuff about only trusting your hydrometer, etc...

Lots of bold words telling you to calm down, etc...

*doff's Revvy costume*

Take a gravity reading and RDWHAHB.

I have a similar issue.

Yesterday I racked a Nut Brown into my carboy for secondary fermentation, but I only put 4 gal in the 5 gal carboy and 1 gal in a separate 1 gal carboy (for dry-hopping experiment)... So far it looks like there is no action in either carboy (temp is at a constant 62 degrees).

I also brewed a porter which is in primary and I pitched the yeast which it said should take between 5-15 hours to begin and again there is no action from the airlock.

Back