Need a Pale Ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schubes24

Reaction score
I want to do a Partial mash pale ale that I can add some late boil additions to. Pretty new to brewing, so I don't really know much about coming up with recipes. I was wondering if anyone had just a partial mash base Pale ale recipe.
:mug:

Go to midwest supplies and look up there pale ale, you can view the ingredients list if you go to the bottom of the page.

I've noticed that they have kits based on dif "levels" of experience. AG,partial extract,that sort of thing. Interesting. I'm thinking of their Wurzburger Maibock,personally. I've been experimenting with all extract Recipes of my own for pale ales. I can't wait to try my latest creation. It's going to be on the lighter colored end of the scale,with lighter colored malt cans,&DME's. Just an example...

Scroll down the top forum page. There is an entire data base there of pale ale recipes - IPAs, English pale ales, plain old pale ales, more pale ale recipes than you can use in a lifetime.

I just brewed this partial mash pale ale recipe:

4 lbs amber DME (late addition)
2 lbs two row
1 lb Vienna
1 lb crystal 60
6 oz cara-pils

.5 oz magnum pellets @ 60
1 oz cascade pellets @ 30
1 oz cascade pellets @ 1
1 oz cascade dry hop

WLP029 kolsch yeast in a 1.5 liter starter

Should be about 1.059 OG and 35 IBU, a nice rich copper color.

Wish I could tell you it's tried and true, but it's still fermenting right now so I'll have to get back to you in a couple of months!

Here's a base that I modified from a pale ale recipe I recently brewed with the intention of making a nice spring/summer pale ale with entirely late hop additions, but it should serve as a decent jumping off spot for whatever.
3lbs light DME
3 lbs 2-row
.5 lbs crystal 60L

My hop planned hop additions were
1 oz each cascade and centennial at 10 min, again at 5 min and dry hopped, however you could use an ounce of something like centennial at 60 min for a bit of a bitter.

I'm doing this one tomorrow. It's all grain, but you could convert it to partial mash by substituting the two row with extract. I figured I get 25 gravity points per pound of grain (this accounts for 70% efficiency in extracting the maximum amount of sugar available in grain, which is around 36 points). Anyway, this means if you want to do a minimash using all of the specialty grains listed and only two pounds out of eight of two row, you need to make up for six pounds, which is a total of 150 gravity points. I think dry extract gives you 42 points per pound and liquid extract gives you 36. So you would need 4.16 pounds of liquid extract or 3.57 of dry. I hope this makes sense. One of the greatest books out there for learning about brewing, writing recipes and beer styles and what ingredients go into them is Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels. Also How to Brew.

Downpour Pale Ale
OG 1.048
IBU 41
Boil Volume 7 Gallons
Batch Volume 6 Gallons

8# Two Row (Substitute extract for whatever portion using the above math)
1# Biscuit (You could also use Munich)
1# 20L Crystal
1# Wheat Malt

I'm using a yeast I've never tried before, Wyeast 1332 Northwest ale, which supposedly attenuates to 70% or so and so should lead to a FG around 1.014

I wanted to make a light colored easy drinking pale. We'll see how I did in a month.

.80 oz Chinook 60 min
1 oz Crystal 20 min
1 oz Crystal 5 min
1 oz Chinook 1 min

If you have a homebrew supply store around you they should have some recipes printed out, too.

Have Fun!

Mine is all extract for those of us that are just getting started:"summer Pale" Ale
1)1.7kg can Cooper's OS lager (pre hoped with pride of ringwood)
1) 3lb bag Munton's plain extra light SDME (works out to about 1.4kg)
1) 1oz pack Kent Golding hop pellets@15mins (4.5%AA)
1) 1oz pack Willamette hops dry hop for 7 days(4.7%AA)
1) sachet Cooper's ale yeast (supplied,made into 1 1/2C starter for 3.5 hours)
I heated 1 1/4 gallons of water in my brew kettle to a heavy simmer (electric stove & no lid). Then add bag of 1oz Kent Golding hops. Set timer for 15 mins.
Take kettle off heat,remove hop bag.
Add DME & stir to incorporate. Then add Cooper's can And stir briskly. Cool wort down to 72-75F & pour into FV. Top off to 23L & take hydrometer reading. Mine was 1.044.
If my FG is low enough/stops on Monday (2 weeks to the day),I'll add the Willamette hops in a small bag to the fermenter for 7 days. Then bottle.
In the beginning,the hydro sample was a dark amber with a copper blush. At 7 days,it was SG 1.020,but a light golden with an amber blush. I hope the color holds so it'll maybe improve a little with aging/carbing. Even at 7 days,the sample had a certain crispness to it. A bit dry,but not sour. The Kent Golding is def noticeable,but not dominating the malts. The Willamette should give the KG's lemon grass flavors a bit more definition,IMO.
Hope this helps somebody...

Back