Keggle return ports?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ox1574

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am in the process of building a single tier system with three burners. My question is, should I install return ports/bulkheads on all three of my keggles? I will be using a 2 pump system. I plan on recirculating the wort in the MLT with direct heat. I am just wondering if I need a return port on the HLT and/or BK.

Thanks!

This is a tough question and probably one that only you can answer yourself. I would add extra ports to all three vessels and simply plug the unused ones. It would also obviously depend somewhat on the cost for the extra ports. I've learned that sometimes it's better to go long now rather than have to retrofit later on with everything that would entail. Take a look at Lonnie Mac's Brutus system (and also the numerous Brutus clones) on this forum. As Yogi once said, "you can observe a lot by watching". We all do that a lot around here.

I am in the process of building a single tier system with three burners. My question is, should I install return ports/bulkheads on all three of my keggles? I will be using a 2 pump system. I plan on recirculating the wort in the MLT with direct heat. I am just wondering if I need a return port on the HLT and/or BK.
It cannot hurt to install the ports up front as it's a lot easier to do it then rather than later. Just plan it so that you can cap them if you don't use them.

Now for a "not asked for opinion". In my 'opinion' it would be a mistake to plan on maintaining your mash temperature using direct heat on the MLT. It will be difficult to maintain your target temperature point. I'd suggest that you use a HERMS coil in your HLT as it will be a lot easier to control with the large water volume. You are already planning on 2 pumps so this shouldn't be a problem.

Just my 2¢.

Now for a "not asked for opinion". In my 'opinion' it would be a mistake to plan on maintaining your mash temperature using direct heat on the MLT. It will be difficult to maintain your target temperature point. I'd suggest that you use a HERMS coil in your HLT as it will be a lot easier to control with the large water volume. You are already planning on 2 pumps so this shouldn't be a problem.

Just my 2¢.

While you are certainly entitled to your opinion regarding direct firing a mash tun, so am I and IMO your advice is bogus. I direct fire my MT and have no problem either reaching or maintaining my mash target temperatures. I do continuously circulate the wort a la RIMS, but he has two pumps, so that shouldn't be a problem. I'm getting by just fine with only a single pump.

OK so if I decide to put return ports on all three vessels, what would you put on the inside of those connections? I would assume for the MLT I would do a copper or SS tube coming down for a whirlpool effect, but for the HLT and BK what fittings do you put on the inside?

Do you guys use a false bottom in both your MLT and BK along with a whirlpool tube on your recirculation port for both?

OK so if I decide to put return ports on all three vessels, what would you put on the inside of those connections? I would assume for the MLT I would do a copper or SS tube coming down for a whirlpool effect, but for the HLT and BK what fittings do you put on the inside?

You would want the wort return for the MT to come in at the top. A port is not really the best way to go about this as you want the wort to be returned to the top of the grain bed and the grain bed depth will vary with the batch size, so you want to be able to accommodate that variance. I use a return manifold supported by a cross member on top of the MT. Others go through the lid or up over the side with tubing. You could use a port up high and attach tubing or whatever to the inside. You don't want to create a whirlpool in your MT, that's for the BK when chilling.

The HLT really doesn't need a return port as you are simply heating water in it. Some circulate the HLT water, but IMO it is not necessary. It's just hot water.

The BK can benefit from a return port for whirlpool chilling. The height of the port is not critical as you will typically attach tubing or an elbow on the inside to direct the flow. I've found that it's best to direct the flow against the side of the kettle and angled up towards the surface to ensure adequate mixing while chilling. The wort temperature can stratify and it can be a lot more than you might guess. ie, very hot at the top and much cooler near the bottom unless continually mixed. Don't get too hung up on the whirlpool term. It's the mixing that is most important while chilling. You can simply use a spoon to get the wort swirling for a few minutes before allowing it to slow and settle out for another 15-30 mintues. Not much happens until the wort slows and eventually stops as far as the debris settling out. IMO, there's an inordinate amount of hype attached to the whirlpooling thing. It need not be like the spin cycle on your washing machine.

Do you guys use a false bottom in both your MLT and BK along with a whirlpool tube on your recirculation port for both?

As to false bottoms, for the BK, it really depends on what you are trying to accomplish with it, how you are chilling, and what kind of hops you typically use. If you use whole hops a false bottom will allow you just loose drop the hops into the kettle and it will capture them during the draining. Pellet hops and cold break will not be stopped by a false bottom, so if you primarily use pellet hops it may not be a good investment for a false bottom.

100% pellet hops with my FB in these pics:

4128977563_6546b3c64f_z.jpg

4128666264_ed991d3a84_z.jpg

I have always used pellet hops and extract/partial mash brewing. This is my first brewstand build, and move to all grain. So I would like to/plan on using whole hops instead of pellet. Looking at Catt's pics, it looks like it does a decent job of catching pellet hops. If I were to do pellet hops i would most likely but them in a hop bag. As for my chilling, I have ordered a 30 plate wort chiller that I will be using my pumps to flow through. Any tips or thoughts there?

You will definitely want to bag your pellet hops if using a plate chiller. Some very fine particles do make it past the FB. The fine debris is not a problem with my tube type chiller, but it probably would plug up a plate chiller. Even if it did not plug the plate chiller, it would make it difficult to clean and sanitize.

Back