Bananas Foster Dunkel Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can do a full boil of all 5 gal or do less and water down later. I recommend the full boil of course. The candi sugar should be added at the very end @ ~10 min left in the boil to prevent caramelization (unless that's what you want). Here's the recipe for the actual food. By looking at that at least you can tell where you should go in terms of spices and *special* flavor additions.

BANANAS FOSTER

¼ cup (½ stick) butter
1 cup brown sugar
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ cup banana liqueur
4 bananas, cut in half lengthwise, then halved
¼ cup dark rum
4 scoops vanilla ice cream

A second recipe called for no cinnamon with substitutes of:
* 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
* 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg

If it were me trying to do this recipe I'd take a basic dunkelweizen and add all the spices at low levels (u can add more later if you want). Maybe a little extra banana flavoring; I have banana extract in my stash. Maybe soak some vanilla beans in some banana liquer and rum to extract the vanilla flavor of the ice cream and then add the whole concoction straight up! lil lactose during bottling to add a little more creaminess. this could end up very, very interesting:)

that looks like its a full boil recipe. hard to tell since the author doesn't really specify. if you want to do it as a partial boil you will have to do some math.

i could be wrong but i don't think the sugar is going to caramelize in the boil. caramelization needs high heat and low moisture. i made a Belgian strong a few months back and added 3 pounds of sugar directly to the wort at the beginning of the boil. no evidence of caramelization.

double post taken from the recipes section:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/bananas-foster-dunkel-68771/

i took a shot at this bananas foster idea with a totally different recipe. brewed it last night. here goes:

1 lb honey malt
.5 lb carawheat
.5 lb caramunich
6 oz melanoidin
7 oz crystal 20L
2.25 lb wheat DME
.5 oz amarillo whole 75min
.5 oz cluster pellet 10min
1 lb wheat dme 10min
.5 lb brown sugar 10min
Wyeast American Ale II

Flameout Spicing Additions: 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, .5 oz vanilla extract powder, 10 drops marshmallow extract, 20 drops banana split extract
*after a few days i'm going to add 1 cup of Myers Dark Rum which has a scraped vanilla bean and 1 oz french oak chips soaking along with a few more drops of banana split extract if needed.
OG - 1.047

As you can tell i'm going for a very sweet, low hopped beer with lots of flavor going on. I'm shooting for a FG of 1.010 and will age for about a month before i bottle. i probably won't secondary, but we'll see as time progresses.

any pointers? anything you would personally do different? whatta ya think?

Back